W4S ST-1000, How Loud Should It Play?

Using a W4S DAC-2 as a pre-amp and Dynaudio S1.4 speakers I recently turned up the volume to almost maximum (65 on a scale of 70 on the DAC-2. Granted, the sound was loud but this is a 570W at 8 Ohm amplifier driving 6 Ohm speakers. I would think that my ears should have been bleeding at this level. Am I missing something?
128x128steeveb
Hearing.... ?

Seriously though, a good preamp could change your game, and provide more gain, resulting in more loudness (and music too)
I note here that the speakers are 4 ohms, not 6, and have a rated sensitivity of 85db/2.83V/1m. That is only 82db/1W/1m, which is quite low.

Also, the manual indicates that the long-term power handling capability of the speakers is 170W. I wouldn't run them at close to the maximum volume control setting for very long, if at all.

According to my calculations, with a 170 watt input and at a 10 foot listening distance the two speakers would produce a sound pressure level of about 97.6db, neglecting room effects. Loud, but not probably not ear-bleeding, depending on the music.

Regards,
-- Al
You should email Wyred. The ST 1000 has a low (or high depending on how you look at it) sensitivity of 2.9V which basically means it needs 2.9V to get to full power. The DAC-2 has a max output of greater than 5V. So there is something going on there. I own the STP SE and a pair of SX 500 powering some large floor standers and I don't go past 35 on my dial.
IF Wyred is like similar Icepower amps I am familiar with, you could be going louder than it seems by listening due to the highly transparent and non fatiguing nature of the amp.

Ear bleeding is not a good thing. I find it hard to make my ears bleed with my Icepower amps but they do go quite loud, louder than is immediately apparent, and anything I had prior that could reach seemingly ear bleeding levels.

It could be a case of more favorable harmonics to go loud without fatigue with the Icepower amps.

Try talking at a normal level while playing and see if you are able to hear your voice as well as you might expect.