What 5ch or 3/2 to match Aragon 8008bb?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to solicit your advice; I'm having a hard time finding any answers to this question.

I'm picking up an 8008bb Aragon for my mains, but i'm running a 7.1 system, and need to get amplification that will match well with the 'bb'.

Any suggestions? I've heard the acurus a200x5 is voiced similarly; and I've thought an 8008x3 for the center and 2 side surrounds, with a cheap amp for the rear surrounds might work as well...

I'd like to keep it around $2k total if I can, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

-Kincade
kincade
Kincade,

What I ment by the reading material comment is that the more enjoyable I find the sound of my system, the more I look for excuses to hang out in the A/V room. So, I've moved my reading activities from the bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen to the A/V room. Also, I've found myself reading more novels and watching less TV.

I'm not saying the top end on the BB is bad. I'm refering to a little grain thats all; just being hyper-critical. Like I said in the previous post, if money was not an issue, I would go with the BB. Hell, I would go with a stack of BB's. The BB has about the same size toroidial transfers(2 1KV) as all 7 channels of the Sherbourn (7 300V) so it should have better control of the speaker. Also, the BB retails for about the same as the Sherbourn so again, it should sound better. The Sherbourn gives you about 95-96% of what the BB gives you; a trade off I can live with given the $$ difference and space/conviencne issue.

As far as the Sherbourn not playing as loud, I realized that the speakers I'm using now are about 2-3db less efficient.

Hope this helps,
I have a pair of 8008BBs and a pair of 4004s that power my 7.0 HT. (No subwoofer...yet)

This required running four 10-gauge power wires from four new circuit breakers into four new duplex outlets (the $3.00 kind, not the $50.00 kind.) Since I have plenty of open sockets in my breaker panel, easy access to the wall of the media room to string the power and install the outlets, and I did it myself WITHOUT killing me, small children, or setting the house on fire, this cost about $70 and a few hours.

The 8008BBs run significantly warmer than the 4004s. In 15 minutes, they are up to temp (I have a thermometer on one of them, was concerned about overheating--turned out that 105-120 degrees F is perfectly normal for them. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that an 8008BB is class A up to 25(!!!) watts, and A/B after that. The 4004 is class A up to 15 or so watts. Krell may be Class A for total rated power (Which is why they are all heat sink, and a couple hundred pounds), but most amps are out of class A after a couple of watts.

The saner solution is to buy the 8008X5 that is currently listed on A-gon. Doesn't use much more current than one 8008BB/ST, but split among the 5 channels that probably won't be too demanding anyway. A good compromise.
PRpixel;

Aaaah, i see; I didn't understand it reading the first time! ;-)

You think the amps are that close? If the sherbourn is 95% of the Aragon, it's a better deal than I thought it was!

Camino, thanks for the reply! You brought up something I hadn't thought about! Power.

Will the 8008bb and 8008x5 combo use more power than the 7/2100? Or would it be equivalent? It's 7 channels either way, but I'm not sure how the transformers play into it.
My mistake - The Sherbourn 7/2100A actually has 7 400 VA toroidal transformers.
So, If i'm reading it right; using a 8008bb + an 8008x3 or x5 will use more AC current than just the sherbourn 7/2100?

Thanks again.