What are the more subtle sounding tube preamps?

I mean "subtle" as in relatively less tube saturation or color than your average tube-pre. Common sense tells me less tubes as in a single dual-triode, but in reality that may not be the case. I currently have my eye on a CJ Classic. Not sure if that will fit the bill.  Any suggestions welcome.
robertsong
Have a look at VTL's pre-amp. IMHO their pre-amps lean to the bright/clear side of tube pre's.  Also take a listen to Mcintosh's pre's.

CJ is lush and rich or warm if you prefer .  I think that is clear, but I disagree about ARC.  My early ARC SP6B is not warm at all, not sure we are talking the same language but it was modded when I got it.

If you want a tube pre that leans towards the SS sound, ARC is for you, very clean, clear and I suppose neutral sound .  I hesitate about neutrality because these are opinions about sonics not measurements by instruments.

BTW sometimes CJ warmth is a good thing, all depends on you, the track, and the rest of your gear.

OP--for cheap, the Schiit Freya is somewhere between tube and SS...actually both, and a passive. the tube section is subtle (as in not very "tubey" or lush), imo, particularly with the stock tubes, but can be warmed up some with some vintage tubes. it’s no ARC 5, but, for the money, I think it actually sounds pretty good.

You might look into the Linear tube audio MZ2S,
Most definitely splits the difference between SS and tube based preamps.

The Freya is cheap for good reason I sent mine back after 5 days, even with very good nos sylvania vt-231 tubes I found it very noisy with a highly compressed soundstage.I do have one of their Yggdrasil dac's and I like it.

Best of luck to you,

Kenny.
You might want to check out the PS Audio BHK Signature preamp.  It is a hybrid preamp, with input triodes and MOSFET outputs, and I think it splits the sonic signature accordingly, which might just meet your requirements.  You can roll tubes to great effect to voice your system, it does impart a nice taste of the tube magic, and it is strikingly transparent, without being "glary" or "over-defined".  At its price point, I'm guessing that it is a tough act to beat in the right system.  My 2 cents.