What do you think about Definitive Technology?

How do folks feel about these speakers for HT? audio? Am I wasting my B&K ref 30 on these? I've aready started buying (surrounds and center) but bought used and could sell w/o loss. I've been buying for about 1/2 MSRP- if that trend continues it will cost about 3500 for the definitve tech speakers (w/o sub). BUT if I buy used and spend 5000-6000 how much of an improvement would there be? and what brands would you recommend where the C,L,R, and surrounds go for a total of 5-6K used? Most everyone here is far more experienced than I so I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
Peter
themightymilkman1e72
4-5 years ago I was looking to replace some old Infinity speakers (sm120). One had a blown midrange and the physical size didn't work with the limited space I had. I decided to go with the somewhat new slim tower speakers. I auditioned quite a few different brands (from the mass media stores). I would hear a speaker that I thought sounded good in the store, would get home a/b vs my infinty's and was not impressed nor could I justify spending $1500-1800 for cosmetic purposes. I auditioned Def Tech's and they were one of the better sounding ones I looked at but I did not think that they sounded that much better (in my room) than the infinity's (remember the one speaker had a blown midrange). They were not the big monster ones with the 18" powered. I think they had a 10 or 12" powered in them. It wasn't until I happened upon a "hi-end" store and came across Phase Technology speakers that I was truly able to put to rest the old studio monitors. The teatro 10's made me question how I could think those infinity's ( along with the polks, def techs, new infinity's, boston's)sounded good. Also the price was $1100. Much less than those others I tested. Granted these speakers should not be considered if you are going for 5-6k used range ( a lot of nice stuff at that range ), but if you wanted to stay in the def tech price range I would find someway to at least demo these speakers. For the price the are very nice. I haven't been looking/demo'ing speakers lately so this is a slightly dated perspective.
I purchased the BP2006TL`s about a month ago. These are the smallest bi-polars DefTech makes. They were $1k/pr. I was replacing Infinity SM100`s. My living room is 15x16 and I use HT as well as 2ch listening. First off, as HT speakers, they are OUTSTANDING! Truely amazing. This is probably their strongest asset. As for 2ch listening. I was disappointed at first.However, once I moved the speakers about 2 feet away from the back wall(as opposed to about a foot where I initially had them), they definately came alive. I think they are very good, especially their slim design. To sum up;

HT-> definately a 10
2ch-> I`d give it an 7 or 8. Not the best I`ve heard but placement is critical.

Using DefTech`s w/ Sony DB930 DD receiver w/ front speakers(DefTechs) powered by B&K ST-140 Amp.
I have come to realize that you really cannot realize the potential of multichannel unless all the speakers are the same. This is something that I didn't believe at first, but has become apparent through experience.

If the visual impact is acceptable, get yourself five (count em) brand new MG 1.6, for the grand total of $4000.
I haven't heard any DT's in ten years so i can't honestly comment on them.
Another brand that does justice to HT and audio 2/multi channel is Monitor Audio.
I ended up making 5 monitors out of kits with Scan Speak woofers and revelator tweeters with Hovland/Alpha Core xovers and could not be happier
I use two powered subs also made from kits.
This speaker setup has seen a lot of audio/h/t gear come and go but i have never even considered changing them, although i did sell my Thiel 3.6's as i liked these better from 40hz up.
I find that i prefer my HT sound much better through speakers designed for 2 channel as opposed to the Infinity and Paradigm set ups i had years ago.
One other bonus to these speakers is that i can move the center channel 7-8 ft back when listening to 2 channel and nothing gets in the way of the music.
I used to own a Deftech setup, 2004TLs BP6s and a Procenter C2 w/ Prosub200

These sound fantastic, awesome HT preformance

I dont like the built in subwoofers though. They are quality subwoofers, but Deftechs are so picky about where you set them up, that where thier bi-polar arrays sound good is not always where the subwoofer sounds good. I found that even though the 2004TL's had built in subwoofers, that i still needed a seperate subwoofer to fill the room with bass. If i turned off the 2004TL's subs, i noticed no difference in bass. however, if i had the 2004 subs up, and i turned down the prosub 200, there was a great decrease in overall bass.

So over all, i dont think the built in subwoofers are worth it, because they become extremly finicky about placement. The speakers sound great away from the wall, but the bass suffers. Put it next to the wall, the bass is greatly enhanced, but the mids and tweets suffer.

Recently i sold these and decided to go for a monitor size speaker, KEF Q1, and i plan to use identical speakers all around.

You dont want to use a monitor for your right speaker and a tower for your left speaker, because they sound different. Why would you do this with any other channel?
You can have all identical drivers, but unless the boxes are the same they will sound different.

i say ditch the deftechs, go with Identical KEF Q1s on all channels. Im working on that now.

The KEF Q1 retails for about 225.00 each. The 2004TL for 800.00 each.
The KEF Q1 in my opinion sounds just as good as the deftechs without the built in subwoofer, plus the Q1 reaches to 45hz, so it is a full range monitor. Sure you will be missing the subwoofers, but aan external subwoofer will easily compensate for this and you can place it without suffering from harmonic loss from the speaker.

Currently i have a Denon 3803, 2 KEF Q1s, and a Deftech Prosub 200. The loss of bass from ditching the 2004tls was pretty much non-existant.

Eventually my system will be the Denon 3803, 7 KEF Q1s, and Dual DefTech Supercubes.

All in all that will give more bass, better distributed bass, and a hell of alot cheaper than going with identical 2004TLs

Deftechs Rock, they seriously do, but sometimes they are just too picky. Thier subwoofers in my opinion cannot be beat. I have heard velodynes for far more the cost than my Prosub 200, and they sounded almost sloppy compared to it.