What is the missing element?

My pc audio setup currently is as follows

PC (Lossless audio through Jriver) > V-link (first model) > Rega Dac > Jolida JD1501 > KEF LS50s

The Rega was probably the first component I bought that completely transformed the sound of my system. The difference it made was simply huge.

I then added the v-link to support higher resolution audio through the s/pdif connection. Again, the sound noticeably improved. The soundstage was bigger, and the music just sounded fuller. Without the v-link the music sounds quite a bit smaller through the usb input.

The Kefs were the next big leap forward for my system. I simply cant believe how big a sound these tiny little speakers put out.

Now, originally most of my listening was through the setup listed above. However, the addition of a thorens TD-160 has gotten me into vinyl in a big way and now I really don't like the sound of digital. By comparison it sounds like congested chaos, has a rough texture (especially noticeable in voices)and overall is just very brash sounding. I simply can not stand it at loud volumes. Nothing like the polite orderly smoothness I hear on vinyl which constantly has me turning up the volume.

I had all but completely switched to listening to music on my turntable while the rega was relegated to streaming pandora or youtube as background music and always at low volumes. Then, some time spent with a naim cd player reminded me just how good a digital source can sound. So my question is how can I bridge the gap? I have been reading a lot about jitter and I am wondering if that is holding the rega back. I've read that the v-link measures at right around 400ps while other digital transports like the audiophilleo measure well below 100ps. Would replacing the v-link with an audiophilleo or another s/pdif converter give me the sound I am looking for? Is the problem with the nature of computer audio itself and I should just be looking for a good CD player? I am slowly driving myself crazy over this.
128x128megido
Megido - another thing that can prevent you from hearing the difference between .wav and FLAC is the active preamp. Most people use one and it's not a $15K one. Eliminating this in favor of a good DAC volume or a transformer linestage makes a big difference. Eliminating ground-loops in the system also helps a lot.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Cerrot - Based on this post you do not know much about the technical aspects of USB. A PCI card and a USB interface can perform equally well from the S/PDIF output based on the design and implementation of each and the supporting power systems.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
As of about a week ago I could have written your post. After several years of digital, I decided to give analog a try with the LP's gathering dust in my basement. Couldn't believe that my system could sound so much more musical and alive.

Michael Lavorgna at Audiostream gave a fairly good review to the SOtM tx-USBexp PCIe card and associated battery supply. Someone on Audiogon just happened to be selling the card with a Welborne power supply and thought I would give it a chance.

Assuming your PC is a desktop, uses Windows 7 and higher, and has a spare PCIe slot, just connect your USB cable to its USB port after installing the drivers. Somehow it cleans up the USB signal, resulting in a better downstream signal. The complete SOtM solution is $750, not cheap.

Chris Connaker at Computer Audiophile has articles on building or buying a PC optimized for music playback called a "CAPS" machine. Three of the four designs are built around the SOtM card. I'm also finding references on Audiogon and other web sites where people claim that less expensive cards give equal or better results.

The bad news is that a clean LP will still sound better. The good news is that you should notice more detail, separation, and greater musicality with your digital files. You may actually wish to raise the volume. I have tried it on my Eximus DP1 with Audiophilleo and currently on the Schiit Loki DSD DAC. Both sound very good.

Thanks audioengr. I will certainly look into your advice. As to the whole usb s/pdif argument, I don't deny that as an output, s/pdif has some definite advantages over straight usb and I admit that I possess only the most basic understanding of how these systems work. As I understand it though, If s/pdif is being used on a source that already has high jitter, it will do nothing to reduce that jitter. It just wont add any more, at least not on the level usb would. I can't imagine a computer being a low jitter environment. One article I have read mentions the s/pdif out on a mac mini measuring at over 1000ps. I will definitely be researching the option of adding a straight s/pdif output from my computer because I like the much more affordable price but I also wont completely dismiss usb converters that are backed up by both professional as well as independent reviews and measurements.
Megido,
That's a smart decision to get more information on both alternatives before spending perhaps unnecessary money.