What is your favorite tv theme song/composition?

Since many on Audiogon are baby boomers television must have been a big part of your childhood. In grade school my mother allowed me to stay up until 10pm to watch Barnaby Jones. She knew I wouldn't make it past the great Jerry Goldsmith theme. My current favorite is the dark and haunting John Rubinstein composition for the ABC drama Family.
dayglow
Mission Impossible by Lalo Schifrin.
Let's not forget Gilligan's Island. I can still sing the lyrics after all these years.
There is a bunch of great vintage TV listed here…. As TV goes.

As theme songs go some of these previously mentioned might ought not be listed here… maybe. Great shows… or series… not too great theme songs.

The Thin Man? Avengers? The Man from UNCLE?

Maybe under the title of Most recognizable, but not great theme songs.

Under memorable and maybe good…

“3 blind Mice”… fit the 3 Stooges like a glove.

Dick Van Dyke theme song was always a favorite.

Route 66! Sheesh!

‘Moving on up!’... the Jeffersons!

I seem to recall being intrigued by the “I Dream Of Geanie” theme.. or maybe it was just seeing Barbara Eden.

Happy Days! was always a favorite. Bill Haley? C’mon man!

And the spin off… you’d instantly notice, ‘’Schlemeel, schlamozzle,.. Hosenfefer incorporated….’ Laverne & Shirley.

Star Trek! Certainly.

Perry Mason… absolutely.

Taxi!

Cheers was simply where everbody knew your name… it was in the script, so of course they knew! Good tune though.

I also liked John Sebastian’s theme song for Gabe Kaplan’s show, “Welcome Back Kotter!”….juan, not Vinny, often stole that show.

Twilight Zone intro …. Even if I get Alzheimers I’ll remember that one.

‘course, lest we forget, Flatt & Scruggs “Ballad of Jed Clampet” was attached as the theme song for the Beverly Hillbilies’.

Green Acres!, not great but memorable.

Oh, so many westerns!

Before TV, westerns had theme songs, they had song singers… such as Gene Autry… or Roy Rogers… or The ‘Singing Sherriff’ Faron young. I seem to recall Frankie Lane also did the theme song for the Western series hosted by Ronald Regan, Zane Grey Theater? “High Noon” ? if it wasn’t Ronnies show.. it was someone else.

Bonanza … who can forget that one! Not the words, the melody.

John Cash’s singing of ‘The Rebel’’ starring Nick Adams, was a hit that got tacked onto a western… then there was Cheyenne, High Chapparal. Laramie, Laredo, Wagon Train, Definitely Rawhide, Branded, yancy Derringer, Co-cheese, and of course… Maverick…. With Bart, Brett, and Bo. Another always comes to mind and the lead actor did a lot in H’wood, but after this TV series I simply never was interested…. “He wore a kane and derby hat, they called him Bat… Bat Masterson.”

Cop & Spy shows?

Car 54!

The orig ‘M.I.F.’… was just killer.

S.W.A.T. and Hawaii 5-0 were super! Only S.W.A.T. made it onto the disco scene club’s dance floors as I recall.

Magnum P.I. & Hill Street Blues…. Were quite unique.

N.Y.P.D. Blue…? Not sure about the song/tune… but loved the show. You go Bocchco!

‘Boston Legal’ got sort of fancy, hip, and bluesy all at the same time following in the NYPD Blues footsteps.

Nearly 3 full decades of Doc Severenson playing intro’s for Ed McMahon’s “Here’s Johnny!” on the Tonight Show.

… and the current top fav… ‘Family Guy’.

Music… be they quality tracks or simply memorable melodies, always make the TV show, Film, etc., come alive… engage…. Adds texture and whet the appetite. The theme songs live on longer than the characters in the episodes.
Perry Mason theme song:
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Perry_Mason.html
Fred Steiner:
Another of Steiner's famous works, "Park Avenue Beat", was used from 1957 to 1966 as the theme song to Perry Mason.

Nothing like it on TV.