What planer speaker to start with? Budget 2k

I've been wanting to try a pair of planer speakers for a while now. I just don't know where to start. I have an Aleph 5 to drive them, and I have a sub. My listening room is 17' by 25' by 8'. So far my favorite speakers are an old pair of Epos es-11's. My budget (which hasn't been cleared by my wife yet...) is $1999. I listen to everything except country and jazz. Thanks in advance.
rtenyes
I agree with Jaybo. Get a pair of Maggie MMGs. Don't know if they still do it, but Maggie used to allow you to trade them up their line for full retail trade-in credit. Even if they don't still have that program, you can re-sell a pair of MMGs for $400-$500 nearly every day here on the GoN.

You almost can't go wrong. Heck, if you buy a mint pair of used MMGs here, you can try them and re-sell for little/no loss if you don't love them.

Enjoy,

TIC
Love the Maggies, but if I had a room that size- I go with the 1.6's(same efficiency as the MMG). Better bottom end and overall dynamics, regardless of your listening tastes. Usually available for $1000 to $1300 in here, and you won't be tempted to invest in a sub(quite as soon).
I agree with Rodman. I have a pair of MG12 that I enjoy, but wish I had the space for the larger 1.6's. The other interesting planar on my "need to listen to" list is the eminent tech.
MMGs ($600) and a Velodyne SMS-1 ($600) to integrate your sub. If the sub is decent, you will have one awfully good, truly full range speaker system on your hands. I just set this system up (with two Velodyne SPLR 8" subs) and -in most (though not all) important respects- it's the best sounding speaker system I've had in my room. It's also BY FAR the cheapest.

Incedentally, don't overlook the benefits of a small panel. I used to own Maggie 3.5s some years back and room interactions were far more difficult to address with those than with the MMGs.

Good Luck

Marty
The MMG's would be cool...and keepers if you go to HT, and can use them as surrounds!
I sold a pair of MG-1s (late 70's issue) which had been factory rebuilt and were a fine intro to Maggie sound, and for less than the above, MMGs.