What's better: RCA or XLR?

What is better; RCA or XLR connectors and why? With some brands of cables, the RCA plug cost more than the XLR, Why?
My System: Classe CA300 amp
Classe cp50 Pre-amp
Classe cdp .5 cd player
BW Nautilus 804 speakers
joeb
joeb
XLR better in EVERY case if gear runs true balanced. Single-ended is a compromise of signal integrity to save money. No other reason for implementation of single-ended design and cable. Cheaper, that's it. Balanced maintains true signal, higher gain, lower noise, better dynamics. If electronics are not true differentially balanced, you're not gaining any signal integrity, only noise cancellation over long runs.
It depends on the equipment. Some manufacturers use XLR connectors w/o really using balanced circuitry so in such cases, there is no improvement in using balanced cables. I use balanced between my Krell amps and a Wadia cd player and have noticed that background noise is much lower. Plus, I live in San Fran where RF is big problem like most large cities.
Since Joeb's post seems to me NOT about the difference in sound between balanced or unbalanced ICs but about the difference of XLR and RCA connectors, I must say, that I personally prefer XLRs to RCAs, although I cannnot really discern any difference in the sound. I prefer XLRs male and female, because they often give a better fit, are easier to solder, are more easily cleaned and more rugged in case of rough handling. No wonder they have been the connection of choice for professional use for years now. If after all, you would insist on a difference in sound, I often have the impression that XLRs are quieter ( also unbalanced ), but that may well be my imagination, rewarding me for the job of having unsoldered RCAs and put in XLRs.
There is a reason that pro sound and recording studios run balanced. But, I guess the main thing is less noise and signal loss with long interconnect runs. Another reason in pro sound is the ability to hook cables together when longer runs are needed.

Robt.
Joeb asked what was better RCA or XLR connectors. In high end audio, sound/music qualities are paramount, so that should be the primary consideration. No? Prior to purchase of ICs, I discussed this issue with a Synergistic Research Tech., and he said he preferred the more organic, rounder, more liquid and "whole" sound of RCA ICs. But he also said that most (not all) of the people he worked with, and were into audio, used and preferred XLR connectors.

I had no preconceived biases for one over the other, and having both fully balanced pre-amp and pre-amp (also single ended), I tried both (SF Line 2 and McCormack DNA2 DX). I found that music with the different ICs (same model though) was as the Syn. Res. Tech described it, and that XLR sounded dryer, leaner, and more detailed (musically). I ended up purchasing RCA ICs for the music quality/character. My ICs were only 40".

As to the robustness of the plug and connection security, I would prefer XLR, but that is seldom a problem in home audio. There are advantages for pro use though, and especially if long runs are used. In fairness to the XLR terminals though, I did not give them much of a chance to break in whereas the RCA terminals were well broken in.

IMO, the only valid comparison should be A to B of the same ICs in RCA and XLR and with well known music. Try it and see. As to professionals using only XLR, well, they have professional reasons, but musically these pros produce some really excellent recordings, and they also produce some really lousy recordings. But I don't really believe the end product is very dependent upon the type of IC used. Cheers. Craig.