When is used used up?

Is there a rule of thumb that says the savings of buying used equpment is offset by the age of said equipment? Surely, aging negatively effects circuits -- welds weaken, capacitors lose capacity, transistors tire, wiring oxidizes, etc. My first amp in 2000 was a Mcintosh 250 in A- cosmetic condition. When I replaced it five years later with an HK PA2400 (used), my system took on new life (more than the increase in wattage).
Seems like when a component is old, it's old, be it sacred cow or not.
garn509
TVAD-- I defer to the responses of Elizabeth and Stevecham.
Garn509 (Answers)
No deferral necessary. I was asking Elizabeth.
OK, Tvad, no question it is old, and may become junk with a few hours use. (since NO parts will be available to fix even simple items like a belt or pulley) It has rubber belts in it that drive the mechanism from the motor/motors. Do you think those belts are going to just not age? IF they are made out of a synthetic (it would have to be a $$$ Nakamichi), maybe they won't break right off. but do you think it is fair to list it "as new" and NOT reveal that it is in fact AT LEAST 15 years old?
And that NO specialty parts are going to be available?
That is the problem.
If you DID say this machine has sat for 15 years with little use etc, then I guess a buyer can make a fair decision as to whether they are going to take the chance. It is when a seller does not reveal the 15 year age, just "looks great" that it becomes a shady deal.
Personally I would NEVER buy a 15 year old mechanical device EXCEPT a turntable and that only if it did not have an idler wheel design.. (only because the motor does just one thing..and the plain bearing in a turntable is pretty indestructable.)
Something like a cassette player, a video recorder, An open reel machine, a CD player.. hah... I would surely pass. I want stuff that works.. not a new project.
And, finally (deep breath here) IMO any cassette deck is junk because it it a dead format. It belongs out there with eight-track machines, Beta video machines, laserdisc players, 78 rpm turntables.. this is, of course, just my opinion. Some folks lives may revolve around restoring and using eight-track machines...
I've thrown away my cassette players, and tapes, thrown away my Beta machine and tapes, thrown away the VHS machine and tapes, thrown away the LD players and laserdiscs.
Thrown away generally means gave away to a Goodwill. Where folks can buy junk and have a seven day return on all electronics (since they pay maybe $5 to $20 bucks.. it ain't a big risk.)
I hope this clarification answers your query about your cassette deck?
The one last chunk of 'old junk' or treasure: cartridges.
How old ARE some of these "It has been sitting in my drawer and I decided to sell it"
I saw a Dynavector Ruby 23 for sale as such an ad. Wanting $450. for 25 YEAR OLD CARTRIDGE.
Just by coincidence, last year a fellow employee gave me a Rega P3 with a Magnepan Unitrac arm with a Dynavector Ruby 23. He had it for over 25 years, and used on occasion it all that time. (He was fastidious, and kept it very clean using an ultrasonic Denon device)
Now I do have to say it still sounds good. but how old is old for a cartridge?
Actually my only complaint is not revealing the actual age in the ad.
If someone wants a 25 year old cart for $150. more than it cost new...
I mean I have no complaints with mine.. I got it for free AND knew exactly how old it was and how much it was used and how it was cared for. (I have the original receipt)