Where stands the music of Chet Baker with you?

I could say much from my own thoughts, but if you give a damn about this subject, I would like to hear of your own thoughts and listening history on the music of Chet Baker.

Please no cliche', "he is no Miles Davis" non-self thought.

And no need to apoligize for being black or white...another Jazz cliche'.
whatjd
Phasecorrect, thankyou! I've been searching for that for about 20 years, never thought to look on youtube. I did enjoy the movie, but I still think Chet Baker stinks. His early trumpet playing wasn't too bad, but it sure got bad soon. How can anybody listen to that flat whispering? I just don't get it.
Marginal talent? Charlie Parker and Jerry Mulligan didn't think so. As for his singing, well, I wouldn't try to convince anyone, but I've always liked it a lot, even in his later years, when you could hear his dentures whistling.
This has been an interesting thread, opinions vary significantly(as it does with components).
Unsound, I same as you don`t care for his vocals, but flat trumpet tone? Chet IMO had a beautiful and rich tone.Other examples of good trumpet tone were Art Farmer,Clifford Brown and Lee Morgan and currently Nicholas Payton.
Chet did`nt have flawless technique but he sure could convey the essence of a song as well as anyone,beautiful player.Just listen to his version of "It Never Entered My Mind".
I'm with Stewie on this one. I actually do enjoy his singing. But I do have to say that I've always hated singers who try to do too much (especially those who don't also play an instrument). As for his trumpet playing, his work with Gerry Mulligan was great, and pairing him with Stan Getz is just wonderful. Of course this is just how I feel about his music. I completely understand those who don't get him.
Jazzerdave,
It has nothing to do with not getting him. Some think he was a mediocre talent, simple as that!