Who are some of elite sub woofers?

Looking to replace Klipsch 12d

So many choices.
awooof

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

Vandersteen 3 with 11 bands of EQ to address room issues below 120 hz singles start at $3k

or the very elite sub 9 in a carbon fiber wrapped low resonance enclosure, also w 11 band EQ, they come in pairs...for about $12k

The Vandersteen way provides great bass at the listening chair by analog EQ applied by using a microphone at the listening chair.
swarm is certainly good, especially if the War Department can tolerate 4 small subs placed around the room in addition to two ( or more ) main speakers...

for those of us with powered bass bass and EQ built into our mains, when adding a sub w EQ we get most IF not all the benefits of swarm... call me a Vandersteen fan boy....

elite should not be so so narrowly defined IMO
we have it really, really good with great quality subs right now, especially with value focused firms like SVS and Rhythmic 
i have no experience w JL

most people dial up the sub wayyyy to hot, .... give me quality over quantity 

I might point out there is an excellent and informative swarm thread also
search and you will find !
yes Duke for those of us running Vandersteen floor standers w built in subs and EQ adding more vanderyEq subs gets most If not all the swarm effect. There is some spatial info above the filter, so placement is still important.

what is amazing and should be celebrated are the amazing choices we have in high quality and affordable subs, elite or not so much...

as an aside for the OP and perhaps others...

buy, read and try out many of the tips in Jim Smiths excellent book - Get Better Sound

buy an SPL meter and a test disc or download Vandertones for free - see what your room is doing...and begin to correlate that to what you hear...

listen to just your sub......hm........not all much there..are ya sure you need it ? or need it that loud....

fun