who needs a cd player anymore

I have not used my 2 cd players in over a year and i don't miss them. I have a krell kid ipod player, msb ilink and wadia i170 all ipod based. The real advantage is not having to search though hundreds of cd and wasting time on finding songs. On one ipod touch 32 GB i have over 3,000 itunes plus songs on it. On my other ipod i have apple lossless music only. My point when you lose your cd player and go to a music server, ipod etc. you can enjoy so much more music and thats what its really about.
usarmyvet91
Eastein, you're splitting hairs. There is a difference between technical obsolescence and obsolescence.

I'm certain you agree.

Thousands and thousands of people still use VCRs who will never switch to newer methods. We on Audiogon, who have a fair amount of disposable income and can jump to the newest products, often forget about the vast majority of people who cannot afford newer technology and services. For these people, VCRs are still viable. There continues to be a market for VCRs, which is why VCRs are still manufactured and sold today.

I agree that VCRs are becoming technically obsolete, but that is a different topic. VCRs are not obsolete in the way Betamax and 8 track are obsolete.

The same reason VCRs are not obsolete (deeply embedded use in households over decades) is the same reason CDs and CD players will not be obsolete.

I do not agree that CDs are technically obsolete. When a company like Sony releases a new high end CD/SACD player (ES 5400), then it's proof enough to me that the technology is not obsolete.
LPs are obsolete. There is a very small niche market - and this site is where you'll find it's defenders. But LPs are absolutely obsolete. So are tubes for most applications. Add VHS, cassette players, 8-tracks, BetaMax, Super8, & reel to reel, wax cylinders, music boxes, and pocket watches.

Don't flame me, I don't care if you love reel-to-reel or the obvious superiority of BetaMax over VHS. They are all obsolete and you're a hobbyist, not a sustainable market or the future of audio.

What is the future of audio? Well, not CDs. They will be obsolete soon enough. Not because of the sound, but because they are not secure. The winner will be encrypted music files due to extremely low cost for worldwide distribution and guaranteed revenue recognition.

Waynefia - save this link and send it to me in 5 years :)
Twenty years down the road, no one here will give a damn about the topic of audio format obsolescence. We'll be happy just for the ability to take a healthy piss once a day.
"Eastein, you're splitting hairs. There is a difference between technical obsolescence and obsolescence."

Tvad, maybe, but while VHS still works, most would agree the industry and general public has moved from VHS to DVD and is now heading towards downloads and Blue Ray.

With the adoption rates for iPods, other digital players, and 5 Billion downloads from iTunes alone in a relatively short time span, the writing is on the wall for CD sales first becoming surpassed by digital downloads, then becoming a niche market like LP's.
03-08-09: Eastein
... while VHS still works, most would agree the industry and general public has moved from VHS to DVD and is now heading towards downloads and Blue Ray.

VHS is not a good analogy with DVD or Blu-Ray because VHS is used primarily for recording purposes whereas DVD and Blu-Ray are not.

Now, if you are speaking about these formats strictly from the playback aspect, then I agree that VHS is largely obsolete. However, playback is not the primary purpose of VHS by users today.

VHS versus Tivo would be a better analogy, IMO.

A niche market does not equate to obsolescence. If your argument is that CDs will become a niche market, then I agree. In fact, I would say this is quickly becoming reality.