Who OWNS Zu Audio Speakers- Especially Definition

I have recently tried a number of speakers, and I seem to have a problem with them all sounding too clinical, especially as the volume goes past 95-100db. This is key; I enjoy my stereo most when the volume is up. I currently own MA GS60's. They do loud very well, but are too lean for my tastes.
Various stores, various equipment, etc., so I can't say it was a controlled listening experience. Some were in my home.
I'm figuring the Zu Definitions would be different- I'd like to hear from some owners and those that have taken up on the 60 day trial period. What's good, what's bad?

BTW, some of the speakers I have listened to and found wanting:
Magnepan 3.6
Focal 1037Be
Reference 3a Grand Veena
Monitor Audio GS60
PSB Synchrony One (actually enjoyed these most- great dynamics, but felt something was lacking in the highs)
james_edward
i had an opportunity to hear the Zus this evening on different amplification---the Zu owner switched to a metal 845 and it was extremely different. the loss i previously heard at the high end was completely gone---detail was very good this time around. the midrange was still quite compelling and it seemed very coherant (which i admired the first time) i switched to my integrated amplifier (BAT), and the bass slam was awesome. great dynamics---though tone in the midrange wasn't quite as pure as on the SET amps. this speaker can change significantly based on amplification i can tell.

overall, a much better demo this time around and i'm probably going to order a pair and demo in my house this time around.

Keith
Dotsystem:

Let me second your recommendation for Jim's book. I spent a weekend with it, tweaking the position, and it made a big difference.

I don't have the $ to upgrade to the presence or essence, so it will need to be subs and a receiver. Frankly, I'm nervous about Zu's change to a ribbon tweeter. I don't want that hi-fi top end "sparkle" and I don't want to give up any sensitivity/efficiency.

I do need help with a 2.2 amp/receiver question.

Just for fun, I ran the Zus off my old Yamaha HTIB since it had SPDIF input and I was hoping to run the system wirelessly through airport express. The Yamaha was notably worse than the sonic-T, so that is out.

Looking for a good amp that does better than 15W and can support 2.2. I also want it to have optical input and a good DAC.

Considering the Onkyo 5AV-L, Harmon Kardon 5490, but I have not heard them and don't know much about them. Onkyo has 40 W d-class and is meant to be "audiophile" but how it sounds, I do not know. HK 5490 has more Ws, but I have no idea how what class amp it is. Peachtree would also be a good choice, but $1200 is too much for me.

Suggestions?
I would suggest something from Virtue Audio. Likely to be loads better than anything from Onkyo or Harmon.

The Virtue One or Two will meet your integrated amp needs, and they have a new DAC on the way.
With Virtue I need to wait for the DAC though. And waiting is so hard. I've had my eye on them for a while though, I don't think they've had any product for about 6 months. And their entry level is now $370. Not cheap.

I have no idea how their ICE class D really compares to whatever Harmon uses (which I guess is AB). Onkyo is also a class D, but their own design.
I've never heard anything good out of a combo integrated + DAC, although perhaps the Peachtree is good as it seems to get some favorable reviews.

But if $370 is considered expensive for the Virtue, then I think you'll have a difficult time of this. Indeed, get the HK or Onkyo, they can do 2.1, have built-in DACs and meet your price point. And if you're happy with the sound quality, then I think that's great, and you just saved a bunch of money.

However, I would not expect small manufacturers making things for a niche market to compete on price with mass market cost optimized manufacturers like Onkyo and HK.

There is an Accuphase E-202 for around $500 for sale right now. You can get a VALAB DAC for $250 and modify it for $50 - $100 more.