Why does my 35 watt tube amp draw 300 watts of power

Hi,

I have a Prima Luna Prologue 1 (tube amp). Love it.

Always been curious though. It draws 300 watts of power, yet is rated at 35 watts / channel. Is it really so inefficient that it is losing 230 watts to heat?

~Jim
128x128jimspov

At the other end of the power consumption spectrum I have 500 w/ch Class D Bel CAnto ref1000m amps that draw 5 watts/ch idle.

Class D technology is a game changer.    If not for having discovered success trying Class D,   I might well be down a totally different path than I am these days.

Tube amps are only 5% efficient. If you want efficiency, the class D amps are the most efficient. 
If efficiency is the objective then without question class D wins vs tubes, no argument. If class D suits your sonic and musical needs then you have achieved the best of both worlds ànd sincere congratulations. Thus far in my experience class A simple low power tube amplifiers push my buttons.  Good luck to all in their search for genuine satisfaction wherever it may lead you. 
Charles, 
I have a Prima Luna Prologue 1 (tube amp). Love it.

Always been curious though. It draws 300 watts of power, yet is rated at 35 watts / channel. Is it really so inefficient that it is losing 230 watts to heat?

Tubes.

Heater current. Volts X amps = watts.