Why Doesn't Contemporary Jazz Get Any Respect?

I am a huge fan of Peter White,Kirk Whalum,Dave Koz,Warren Hill,etc.I have never understood why this flavor of music gets no respect.Not only is it musically appealing,but in most cases its very well recorded.Any comparisons to old jazz(Miles Davis etc.) are ludicrous.Its like comparing apples and oranges.Can anyone shed some light on this?Any contemporary(smooth)Jazz out there?I would love to hear from you. Thanks John
Ag insider logo xs@2xkrelldog
Calling Kenny G, The Rippingtons and most similar stuff contemporary jazz is kind of like calling cool whip and velveeta cheese modern cuisine. Contemporary players like Dave Holland, Tim Berne, Fred Frith, Gerry Hemingway and Ken Vandermark get a fair amount of respect, (but maybe not a whole lot of $$$). Going back a couple of posts, it could be argued that blues and a few of its evolutionary mutations have American origins. Instrumental surf rock per the Ventures, The Mermen, Los Straitjackets, Link Wray and Dick Dale for example. Sorry if this is getting a little too off topic, but another huge uniquely American figure (whose recent death has been puzzlingly overlooked on this site) is Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart). He put out records with percussive elements and phrasing that you can't pin on anyone else and he influenced a heck of a lot of other recording artists.
Just my two cents worth but I believe the way in which we listen to music informs our tastes at any given time. Some may listen to music in an analytical way and "true" jazz may be what they do that with. Some may find the emotional message enough, and certainly either trad jazz or smooth jazz can accomplish that. Sometimes you just want to sit back and not require such a high level of analytical listening or emotional involvement and sonic wallpaper suits that moment. If you were seeking a relaxed, laid back mood and smooth jazz accomplished that for you, who is to naysay the worth of it? I have a large collection of traditional jazz on both LP and CD, and enjoy it immensely and yet there are times when smooth jazz is what the moment and mood requires. To use a cold war analogy, maybe peaceful coexistence is what's called for rather than mutually assured destruction.
Coltrane1,
Don't get me wrong.I am not being dismissive of the time. I admire the jazz from the era.It was a moment in time that will never will be duplicated. It is that looking back I feel it is appreciated more than it was during the time it took place. Time was needed to see exactly how and why that era is so special.
Einstein's theory of relativity or stepping foot on another planet does not need time to see it alter the direction of life on the planet.To gauge it's it's impact however,time is needed.

Regards,
This debate goes far beyond simply soothing ones "mood" or preference for music.

Peaceful coexistence is fabulous and the ideal. In an ideal world every individual would have a fair and equal opportunity to develop themselves and their art form.

A musician, like any other artist, lives to create and perfect their art.

It is in that spirit I suggest any actual true discussion of "smooth" vs. classic jazz cannot be fully discussed unless acknowledging the impact the component of race has had upon jazz since its inception.

The most direct way to both fully understand and examine the "smooth" vs. classic debate is to examine the component that truly fuels this debate for the working professional musician.

So often there are those among us, whatever their motives, who attempt to rewrite history. Granted, there were cultural issues afoot that weighed upon so called "classic" jazz during the period of its creation. Historically, from the turn of the century forward, jazz was labeled and degraded as the 'devils music'. A plethora of other well known negative labels not worth repeating were attached to it in an attempt to dismiss both its artistic merit, and the contribution of those who created it. Jazz has an established history of many writers attempting to derail jazz, and therefore the public's wide acceptance of the music.

70 years ago there was resentment among a vast majority of players and creators of jazz, so many of which at the time of the big band era who couldn't find regular work. It is felt by many of todays current music scene that same resentment is fueled today by writer's who promote new and less talented white players which many feel don't possess real talent, while obvious talented new black players struggle to make a living with their art for lack of equal exposure. This division does not end there. Some even go so far as to believe a music that was born of slavery, and the black american cultural experience, has been in effect, '"taken over" by a society that has now accepted the music as an art form without recognizing the contribution of those who created the art form.

Ironically enough, it may come as a surprise to some that jazz preceded baseball by almost a decade by breaking the color barrier. Black players were integrating white bands years before Jackie Robinson put on a Dodgers uniform. I repeat, it was jazz music, that went against an established cultural norm when it wasn't socially acceptable to have a black player in an all white band.

Bebop didn't just result from talented players like Parker, Gillespie, etc., as a natural course of evolution of the music. Many believe bebop was a result of struggling artists attempting to take jazz to a higher level of technical expertise in order to distinguish themselves from less talented and working players. In other words, if you could play bop you were distinguished from those that were working yet less talented. There was a resentment among the talented players of yesteryear. This same resentment is alive today in the "smooth" vs. classical debate.

Many believe the racial dynamics that were an undercurrent of jazz 70 years ago are alive and well today in the "smooth" vs. classical debate. And there is a resentment of those who play this music at the level of an art form, for they are the true keepers of the flame that will keep this music alive.

But for those that know music, from a technical perspective, there is no debate for there exists no true comparison between both genres.