Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl
Mdhoover,

7 IDS's with that Kimber crossover? would be quite good for a medium sized room. Imagine a soundfield that images the same way on everyside of the room, renderring the ambiance and image of far away concert right in your room!

I have designed many systems using speakers like your IDS's, imagine being completely emerssed In the IDS sound all 7 speakers acting as one, with all the dynamic range advantages of having 7 speakers and perfectly blended subwoofers versus just 2 speakers. I know it unfortunately costs more, but...

that example may just pull you a bit closer to what Eldartford and myself listen too. And help you imagine the minimum level of refinement I require to find a system competent.

Thanks for your thoughts too.
Landok,

"The violin is a very musical instrument and it is not the same as the human voice enunciating words on the screen."

...only in your mind, my speakers do both with no problem. Infact being able to do intelligable speech is a tough one for many highly regarded speakers. Not a good sign of good performance IMO.

"If surround sound is all around us, as you claim then the point of owning a surround system becomes moot."

I'd be interested in how you would arrive at that conclusion.

My original comment;

Fact is every moment of your everyday life is in surround why not play your music back that way?

This of course refers to the humans ability to discern sound 360 degrees naturally...and as some have mentioned above and below too. So I would say owning a surround system becomes essential not moot but i'd like to hear you input.

PS; my 7 channel music system doesn't have a screen.
velocity,

Thank you for your somewhat more benevolent tone. The reality of it all though is; how many listeners or devotees to multi channel sound have or will ever have a system like yours? You are talking about a near perfect if not totally perfect system which you are fortunate to own. The premise of the original debate I believe was based on a system that is more available to the masses. It would have been simpler if you had stated at the very begining that there is a system that is way beyond the mainstream surround system and you happen to own it, instead of vociferously proclaiming that you have a better system. Thank you for giving me some insight into your professionalism, expertise and your passion for recreating a perfect sound in the home environment.
In this thread we see the assumption by some people that multichannel is the same thing as HT. Not so!! The most significant difference is regarding the center speaker. With HT it is desirable to have a center speaker with limited and shaped frequency response because this makes dialogue clearer. For music the opposite is true because the center front speaker almost always gets the strongest signal.

Regarding speakers that reproduce both violin and voice well...some do better than others, but IMHO you really need several different speakers to do everything best. From my experience here are a few examples...
1..Spoken work...KLH5...a three-way using a pair of very lightweight 4" drivers for midrange. (These drivers were used full range in the KLH table radio).
2..Dixieland jazz, and other music with lots of trumpets...Any speaker using compression horn driver(s) for mid and tweeter.
3..Violin...B&W 550 small 2-way monitors with titanium tweeter.

My regular speakers are Maggie 1.6 and they do a good job, if not the best, over a wide range of material.
Landok,

My surround system costs about *$12,000, My home theater? well that's a story of priviledged ownership.

Of course it helps that I built all the speakers and amplifiers but let me note with parts that you can easily buy yourself, the amplifier designs are online for you to build yourself also. I listen to the systems I build to stave off spenind to calm down upgraditis when it itches, since the only way for me to get a better system is to be able to build it better. I'm learning how to make digital dsp crossovers so I can make my speakers better. College courses $3000

Let me note I have heard $8000 complete (DVD player too)surround sound systems outperform $15K+ tube type systems using speakers I felt were very good, and had that confirmed by many others who were equally mystified by the disparity in the qualities of the 2 systems.

I think where you hit a button with me is surround systems don't have to cost an arm and a leg to beat two channel systems. The problem is there is very little support for the end user (who desperately needs to be brought up to speed). Even on enlightened forums like here and AVS, there are precious few people who can begin to make people begin to understand what it takes to make a good surround system for any price. And unfortunately as a perfect example here you can see that these differring views at first are in conflict as common thought makes the thought of surround sound as a serious musical vehicle preposterous.

In a conversation with a speaker designer who is incredibly well regarded on this forum as there are dozens of posts regarding his product currently in action. His words exactly, "I feel a system built around my XXX speakers in a surround system surpass everything I make in my opinion until i'm listening to my larger XXX speakers."

The price difference is the surround speaker system $8000 retail the larger system $75,000+. I protect his identity because of the illogical negative feeling audiophiles have about surround. I don't want to damage his reputation or put him a position to where he has to defend himself.

* When I had a business I used to tell clients that if I could build a better sounding system as a "part time designer" then the products my competition sold (other audio outlets) then why bother with them? When everything we carried was better than what I could build, that was the standard every commercial product had to meet. I used client feedback as my only means of judging how good my designs actually sounded. Many times the clients were unaware that the product they were demoing was built in house until later in the process.

Landok I'm sorry we got off on the usual wrong foot when it comes to these internet boards on this particular topic. Misunderstanding=conflict