Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky
Dev: Very interesting. I'd very much like to hear the 450.

Mr. Hayes: If you are following this thread, please consider toning down the ad copy in your description of the 450 on your site - way too heavy and not credible.
Why not more conversation about VAC?

Perhaps

1. little product advertising
2. limited audio reviews
3. strong competition
4. highly fragmented market
5. long delivery lead time
6. limited global representation

all play a role?

Speaking personally I tried (and failed) to buy product from directly from VAC. Kevin kept promising to get back to me but in the finish he simply never did. A big disappointment which I decided was the outcome of Kevin seemingly trying to do everything himself. Perhaps therefore we should add 7. small company?
"What I heard was a absolutely amazing jaw dropping experience no mater what music was played, and or at what volume."

mbl done right is generally that way.

I'm assuming you heard the mbl on a traditional well set up SS rig (top off the line mbl amp as a benchmark) as well?

BTW, I've heard the exact same mbl rig set up well in a showroom and less than optimally at a show. The dealer's setup was OUTSTANDING. The show was nice but forgettable.

There are a lot of things that go into maxing out mbl in addition to just amp, though certainly that is a big part.
I have owned and sold a VAC Ren (not Sig) full function pre and now have a VAC Ren 30/30 MkII amp. The pre was excellent, has fantastic looks and build quality, it's extremely versatile and has the best remote I have ever come across. It sounded fantastic (l.s. and phono). I sold it when I went to a l.o. mc and I wanted to get into an active gain stage instead of the internal step up in the VAC. My Doshi Alaap is better, but not significantly better. I could have lived with the VAC, happily ever after. I did have to send it back once for repair and to have the internal loading resistor swapped out. The repair took a while, but it was sent in just before XMAS and then of course Kevin is out at CES right after. I would say that in terms of speed of service its about what you could expect from an artisan/boutique operation. The work was done well, it was not cheap and it took a bit of time.
The amp is fantastic; I bought it used here on the 'Gon and had a couple of concerns when it arrived. I emailed Kevin late one night and got back a detailed response first thing the next morning. Over the course of the next day or 2, we exchanged 3 or 4 emails; he was never anything but helpful, gracious and generous with his time. So I would say his products are expensive and provide a level of build quality and sound quality commensurate with the price. As far as comparing the Ren series of products to the moderate priced tube gear from China- well all I can say is we are not talking apples and oranges, we are talking apples and extra-terrestrials. Also, try getting some good diagnostic advice from PrimaLuna or Consonance on a piece you bought used. And then there are the QC and dealer/customer support issues. Search Trelja's threads; it'll curl your hair!
"we are not talking apples and oranges, we are talking apples and extra-terrestrials"

That's a good one! Gotta remember that!

If you are going to make a major investment, customer support and service should be part of the value proposition.

I know many smaller companies are challenged to turn things around quickly, which does matter.

I always think about things like how to get service if needed and total cost of ownership when considering any major purchase.

Plus. I try to keep decent spare gear around in order to be able to listen if/when something has to go out for repair.