Why pay so much?

If you want to think cables make a huge difference in sound fine...but why pay up to $70,000 for speaker wire?

You can buy 38 lbs of 99.99% bullion silver for $10,000 or 4000 lbs of 99.99% bullion copper.

Buying a pair of 12 foot $5,000 wire is obserd it costs like $30 to make and WBT connectors are also highly inexpensive to make too.

Why do you guys shell out money on a clear fact that you guys are insecure about using low priced stuff and these people know that and take advantage of that.

How do you guys let yourself taken advantage of?
funaudiofun
Time for the moderators to step in and
(1) simply lock down this crap thread and similar crap ones. If they do not, it's identification by association - full stop.
Really, are we so insecure that every dissenting opinion should be stomped out like the first zombie in an apocalypse?  

While I couldn't care less what others spend on cables, and I am all about capitalism and pricing based on what the market will bear, I agree with the OP that some cable manufacturers have elevated their product and brand to the point where owning their cables approaches more of a validation of social standing than a good value.  But hey, that is simply considered good marketing in many other industries.  People will vote with their wallets so why worry about it?
One correction to an otherwise good post:

HiFi marketers have [some] right to fleece a public begging to be taken... but that ends when consumer protection laws are violated.
In truth, we are buying high priced audiophile cables precisely to annoy funaudiofun.  Looks like it's working!

Honestly some cables are not worth their price, but if I have money that I don't need, and I have expensive system, I will buy why not?Mike Lavigne has a good explanation about this topic.Mike is Agon member.
Why not?  If you have already built the perfect listening room with the perfect speakers and an amp to drive them, and upgraded all your programming material to the best mastering.... then why not...

I guess because there are much better holes to throw money into - vintage Italian sport cars for example.