Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
@fsonicsmith "Resonance control" WTF is that? Also, how on earth would a few inches/feet shorter "signal path" make any difference at audio frequencies? And what is combining transformer/cap function? That is some electrical engineering people don't learn in school, so you might enlighten us. :)) 
The price of good cables (ic and pc) plus good equipment support (space issue) is enough to go for an integrated. 
I can think of many reasons.  Cost, Space, Convenience etc.    Sure an integrated includes tradeoffs.  One power supply for all sections is a compromise that may have audible consequences.   Lack of flexibility outside of basic features may inhibit future upgrades.   But the real question to me is how much more do you have to spend to meaningfully improve sonic performance ?    Lets say you purchased an integrated for $5k after comparison with $5k in separates (pre- media streamer/DAC - amp), and determined that you could not hear much if any difference.   At what point would you hear enough of a difference to offset the increase in cost ?   $7.5k $10K ?    For many, cost is a consideration.   For most, integrateds are so good that it is only at the margins where improvements can be heard.  And for many outside of the suburban/rural US, space -IS- is a consideration.   A single elegant box is a much cleaner aesthetic solution when space is at a premium.     I use an integrated in my computer system (MF A3.2), and a former TOTL HT receiver in my family room (Marantz SR7009), but separates in my main system (tube, with 2 TT).
Given that the industry exists to sell stereo equipment isn't a "sell-job" what they are all about? Or any business for that matter? Also at the end of the day really who cares? If you don't like the idea of an integrated there are plenty of separates out there, and if you want an integrated you are spoiled for choices.