Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 5.1 or..

Sophias?

They are around the same price in the used market?
Any obvious choices?

Please note, performance and looks are both vital!
rapogee
Of course everything has been said pro and con about the Wilson sound...IMO,all im saying is I feel that the sophia would be an easier sell when the time comes to move on than an outdated WP5.1 system...and for me I wouldnt be interested in either
Inhisservice, You are right in that people should listen to "Von Schweiker" (as you stated, and many other brands) vs. Wilson. I couldn't agree with you more, that there will be people that don't like the Wilson sound, and these people should obviously not buy Wilson speakers (or anything they don't actually like the sound of). And nobody, certainly, should buy any product on name alone, Wilson or otherwise.

I can't speak for the ease of sale of Sohpia's VS. W/P (or other models) as I have never owned the Sophias. My feeling is that the Sohpias are the entry into the Wilson sound, taking one only part of the way. This being said, there is likely to be many people who feel that this is the sound they like and want. They are excellent speakers. The Sophia 2s seem to be selling at roughly 50% as of now.

Wilson to VS sound? It is a personal matter. I feel that the Wilson delivers what is on the recording better and more accurately. But I can also understand why and how other people would prefer the VS sound. Again, this makes more the point that it is and should be personal preference. I won't ever state that the Wilson (any model) is the best speaker, producing the best sound for such are only opinions and matters of personal taste.
Ckoffend's comment of "My feeling is that the Sohpias are the entry into the Wilson sound, taking one only part of the way." is complete nonsense. Wilson Audio does not make a Speaker System that is partially complete “taking one only part of the way”. The Sophias are "100% Wilson". Daryl Wilson (Dave’s Son-who is also involved in the business) has been using Sophias in his personal Home System since they were introduced back in 2001, and he, obviously, could use any Wilson Speaker System that he desires. The Sophia is only considered “entry-level” when it is compared to the price and size of Wilson's larger floor-standing Speakers, and not simply based on sonics. The larger Wilson Speaker Systems are made for larger rooms, with powerful amplification. A pair of Maxx2s would not sound as good as a pair of Sophias in a small>modestly sized listening room, with modestly powered amplification, and vice versa. The Wilson Audio Sophia is probably the most universally praised high-end Speaker System available today, as well as winning numerous awards and a perennial favorite of Hi-Fi Magazines, since its introduction. Ckoffend’s own comment of “as I have never owned the Sophias” should be enough of a disclaimer for readers to consider his opinion of the Wilson Audio Sophia null-and-void.

As to the original question: It is of my opinion, based on owning 3 pairs of Wilson Speakers (currently Sophia), and being close friends with my local long-time Wilson Audio Dealer, and hearing every Speaker System in their current line-up; that the Sophia will best any W/P-System up to the W/P-7. Most long-time Wilson Audio Dealers would concur, that when the Sophia was introduced, WP-6 sales tanked, Wilson new this would happen, and planned accordingly, by releasing the W/P-7 soon after.
I still stand by my statements, having owned several pair of Wilsons as well, including side by side comparison with the Sophias (which I never purchased as I did not prefer their sound as much as the alternatives). With every comparison I made, my feeling was that the Sophia was/is a "kinder and gentler" Wilson speaker. This is by no means a knock on the Sophia, and it certainly was not intended as one. The big complaint that so many people have against the Wilson speakers is that they are bright, un-musical in that they are too detailed (the too detailed is my interpretation of the un-musical based on numerous elaborations on the un-musical statements) and unforgiving to an extreme (ie. a bad recording will sound bad).

It is my contention, and not a statement suggested to me by any Wilson dealer, that the Sophia's are designed to bridge this gap to widen the Wilson audience. Let's face it, if a suitable number of potential customers feel a product is too much of "something" (whatever that "something" is) and the manufacturing can reduce that same "something" to a point where those previous complainers no longer have an issue with that "something", then the manufacturer has a great potential to increase his customer base. Whether you agree or disagree with me on my impression of the Sophia's, I think most people would agree with the above statement as a general, common sense business approach (and yes, it does assume one/a business cannot do this if it jeopardizes their reputation).

I neither claim to speak for Wilson's goals with the Sophia or claim this to be fact. This has been my impression of the sound of the Sophias. I think they are great speakers. I think they will appear to a great number of customers, possibly more than the W/P (for example). However, the sound of the Sophia's is not as appealing to me because of my impression of how they sound. I obviously like a high degree of resolution and want the details (in full strength, if that is how they are recorded) and the energy I get with the other Wilson speakers over the Sophias. That is my listening preferences.

When I suggest that they are an entry level into the Wilson sound, I am not saying that they are a low level or quality of speaker in any way. My point is that they do a better job with resolution (and the items I reference above) than most other (branded) speakers, but they do not do it the Nth degree that many of their (Wilsons) other speakers do.

My example would be that if you own VS speakers and want a some more resolution, etc. . . the Sophia's would be a great speaker. If you want the impression of a lot more resolution, etc. . . than other Wilson speakers will deliver this "more" of these attributes. One or the other is not better, it is subjective.

As for a Wilson dealer (or any dealer of various products) saying that the "new" X-model is the best they have heard always raises a question mark in my mind. The fact that the Sophia's have "eaten" into the W/P sales should not be too much of a surprise to anybody. When they came out, they were the only other full size/full range speaker Wilson offered and were at about 1/2 the price. In reality, should also appeal to a wider segment.

As for me, I wouldn't trade my W/P for the Sophias as they have less of what I like (personally). However, that doesn't mean others won't find the Sophia's better for their tastes. Again, I am not criticizing the Sophia speakers, in fact I feel I have praised both their sound and my impression of their reason to be.

I won't/wouldn't recommend to every/anybody the W/P or other models over the Sophias or for that matter any Wilson speaker over a VS (for example) speaker as the sound/performance is subjective and based on personal preferences. We should all know at least that by now. Attacking another's clearly stated opinions just because they don't agree with ones own likes or current equipment ownership is counterproductive to the purpose of the forums. I have no problems with somebody/anybody disagreeing with me or my impressions and clearly stating as such, in fact would encourage it based on personal experiences and opinions to further others abilities to determine on their own what their preferences are and to get all sides/opinions of an issue.
The wilson speakers look and sound very good. I have owned 6's and 7's and liked them both. I did find that I had to upgrade the rest of my sytem to try and get rid of the shrillnes of the highend on most recordings when played loud.

In my mind the Sophia is not even close to the 6's or 7's and I agree with many others who feel the same way. In several side by side demos I felt there was no comparison. If you have $5 to $10 thousand dollars buy used watt puppies.