Would you pay to audition speakers

A dealer told me that he will let people audition 1 pair of speakers for free. If you want to hear multiply speakers
he charges 500.00. If you buy a pair of speakers he will credit you back the 500.00. He says he does this so people don't waste his time. He says If someone is serious about purchasing speakers they won't have a problem with the 500.00 deposit. I'm Interested in knowing how the Audiogon community feels about this.
taters
Maybe thats the only way,he can get rid of you.Sometimes
salesman and dealers if you dont drive nice cars,they
wont entertain you at all,I have experience that many
times before,I cant imagine paying $500 just to audition.
TVAD is right,here in ILLINOIS many audiostore are now
out of business because they dont know ,what good costumer
service.
He sounds like he should be in the transmission repair industry. What happens if you agree and then discover that you don't like any of the speakers? Does he get to keep your money? I wouldn't be wasting my time with a dealer having that type of sales attitude and I would without question let everyone I knmow to avoid this establishment like the plague.
Give me a break....this is absolutely absurd to think the dealer is there to be used given what has happened in high end audio in the past 10 years.......most people on this site USE dealers to demo equipment, then come here to buy it used or from someone selling new at used prices to save some cash when they had zero intentions on buying new....hence wasting the dealers time and effectively shutting down the vast majority of the brick and mortars throughout the USA.

Then those same people have the balls to moan and complain when there are no dealers in their area to demo equipment. You CAN'T have your cake and eat it too......you people have done it to yourselves.
Arbuckle you have a point.Some will take advantage of the
audition right,knowing they will not buy,thats wrong.When
I go to the store,I just look around,if the salesman ask
me to listen to their new speakers,then I will,most of the
time I offer them lunch though but to pay them even 50 dollars,thats to stiff.