Yet another Mac music Question

I have an imac >transparent USB>PS audio digital link III (Cullen mods)>pre-amp. Its sounds good, not great. Here are my questions. Note, I will be purchasing amarra in the next week or so (if that needs mentioning)

I went to the audio midi set up and under the USB out it will not offer a 24bit option. it offers 48K and 16bit as the highest option. Itunes will not read a 24bit flac file even with Fluke. What am I doing wrong?

I would like to set up an external HD to store my itunes library (via firewire). I need to transfer the files that are now on various other external drives in flac format. I need to convert to AAIF and store in the new main library drive. What is the most efficient way to convert the files and link with itunes?
jordanmj
You should check out www.mach2music.com and I have tried both Pure Music and Amara and Amara sounds way better.
Amara sounds way better

Jordan, I would take that with a grain of salt. I've followed many discussions about these 2 packages and that's the first I've ever seen that makes that claim.

If you want to do the Amarra trial you should also download the Free PM trial and do it side by side. I'm a very satisfied Pure Music user and would like to try Amarra but I refuse to pay somebody for a trial and be forced to use a hardware dongle.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Herman, et al, I did do a side by side between amarra and pure music. And to me, and my system it was not close. Now, someone may feel that they are close. I have Conrad johnson amps and pre-amp and amarra supported that "live" and more in the room sound that I that drew me to the CJ stuff in the first place. That is why I would rather go with amarra.

I am still at a loss on my my Imac won't offer 24bit for the PS audio dac. I thought it was 24bit even for USB. Perhpas that is incorrect. Looks like I need a new DAC.

Jordan
Here's another vote for Amarra. I tried both the Pure Music and Amarra demos and Amarra sounds significantly better with my rig.

PS Audio Power Plant Premier > Mac Mini 2.53GHz/4GB > Amarra Mini 2.0 > Halide Bridge> Cambridge Audio 840C > Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II > Arcam AVR350 > Acoustic Zen Shotgun Double Barrel > Vandersteen 2Ce speakers (combination of LessLoss and VH Audio power cables w/dedicated circuits)
Two more player to try. Mac Only

PLAY. smooth.org/play

Audirvana. audirvana.googlecode.com. (sounds great)