Your favorite classical composers/works?

Due to the recent flood of pop/rock/blues/jazz topics, I thought its about time for a classical topic.
Guess this could be a open forum for all things classical.
Here's a few ideas to touch on.
Future of classical in western culture?
Will the classical/romantic traditionalist composers survive in the comming decades, or will the 20th century composers/stsrting with Debussy, over take the previous classical forms in popularity?
Don't you want your kids to have at least some knowledge and interest in classical? Do you see yourself growing more interested in classical? Why classical has not made a more important impact on western culture, as we witness more money is spent on pop music than classical? In fact here in the states, I'd say more money is spent on all other music forms vs classical.
Does a culture's music reflect its life style and and reveal the culture's attitudes, beliefs, values?
bartokfan
hi bartokfan. do i detect an implicit opinion of yours that classical music is superior to other genres ?

why are you obsessing about this subject. don't take this subject so seriously.

classical music is just another type of musical expression.
people like what they like.

i think it is more interesting to understand why certain genres are preferred over others.

as to your topic, my favorite composer is js bach. i like musch of his opus for hartpsichord. i really enjoy listening to the sound of this instrument. in my cd collection i would say that i have more music featuring the harpsichord than any other kind.

why do i like bach so much. his harmonies are very interesting and complex.

i think people may not be attracted to classical music because it is not an egalitarian genre.

the idea of comparing composers and suggesting that one is better than another is ludicrous. the attitudes that pervade many classical music lovers does not motivate listeners of other types to take an interest in this music.

i also notice some rigidity and sensitive egos when it comes to the subject of sound quality. this situation is not conducive to the viability of the hobby we love so much.

my advice: stop taking yourself, the hobby the music and life so seriously. stop being so judgmental of others who disagree with you.

if the above applies to anyone who reads my posts, i mean no ill will, but hopefully you will consider what i have said. it's good for your health.
I don't necessarily have Resphigi as a favorite composer but the Toscanini vinyl of his Fountains of Rome is just astounding. I have rarely heard an orchestra play in what seems like such lock step precision. The opening few bars literally explode out of my speakers, Legacy Focus 20/20's so much so that the speakers disapear. They don't on other records as a rule but this one is worth hearing if only for the sonic display. It may have helped that both Toscanini and Resphigi were not only Italian but also good friends.
Having said all that, the piece is only part of it, the conductor can make or break a piece. The soloist's can do the same. Iona Brown on Vaughn William's The Lark Ascending is without peer on that piece to my ears. Brendel in the 1960's was fantastic, to my ears he did not continue to be so. Listen to Brendel's version of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, and his music making abilities are superb. Or listen to Ivan Moravec do Debussy, I heard him live once and his playing is both intimate and magical. Just some thoughts. Enjoy the music
Classical music has been always the music of the elite, be political, economic or cultural. Once, in the renessaince and barokk period, when the composed music became a genre own its own, was primarily the music for royal families and for their courts, and for landlords copying the royal courts (beyond churches). Haydn worked during almost of his life to the Esterhazy family. The Archbishop of Salzburg treated the young Mozart as one of it servants. Actually, it was the period of Mozart when classical music spread beyond the court of feudal landlords and the emerging merchant and industrial burgoise and the new educated - future to be middle class -elite. But still, the unfortunate economic troubles of Mozart illustrated how difficult was thhe transition from being servant to try to serve a wider 'market'. Of course, this was the period, when classical music was still fairly close to "popular" music - they used similar instruments, there was an exchange of forms and tunes between the two music genres. Mozart wrote not only operas and symphonies but dance music for festives (for the discos of his time).Schubert, at the beginning of the XIXth century was foremost known for the Viennises as a popular song writer. During his short life he composed more than 600 songs (I guess he composed more songs than Madonna ever recorded), but his symphonic output was practically unknown for his contamporaries - and for a few decade after his death. In our days, the technology advance (cheap studios, cheap portable music repreduction means - be ipod or car cd-player - made only that popular music also became 'composed' music and traditional folk music has been replaced by easy tunes. In the ocean of aritifical cheap tricks, classical music seems to be a small rain drop - but it has been always. There is one difference, however. Classical music once was a living music. Operas of Mozart, Verdi, Erkel, (a Hungarian romantic composer), music of Bartók and Shostakovich were not only pieces of fair music and aesthetic pleasure but represented political and cultural revolutionary ideas, be Italian independence, against traditional conservative society, dictatorship - and rallied partisan elites - be political, economic or cultural. As did poetes in the XIXth-early XXth century. This kind of role art has been disappeared in our island of overconsuming and comfortable world. But in the third world still maybe there are music and poetes who expresses new popular ideas and partisan world view, and elite music has more importance than a factor of pleasure and reason to buy newer and newer more and more expensive gear to get closer to the music, altough we are hardly able anymore to really feel the human tragedy and need of expression what composers of different ages wanted to express.
Ajahu:
Enjoyed reading your thread.
"But in the third world still maybe there are music and poets..." Immediately the music of Bob Marley comes to mind and he now is regared as almost a prophet by many in the islands.
Ajalar has made some raised some interesting ideas on several funtions of classical music to the individual. Shostakovich is the best exapmle of a composer fulfilling the role of a poet who speaks for the sufferings of a entire nation. Whereas prokofiev felt it necessary to ignore most of the great evil taking shape in his country and around the world, and instead gave us works of stunning melodies. Though of course he does touch on some of the evil surrounding him, 2nd sym specifically, opening movement. Schonberg gives us insight into the neurotic mind, a disease that would strike at the jews and the world in general. This is represented in his Pierrot Lunaire and others. Schonberg also reveals to us his profound spiritual understanding of a few events in the old testament, which lets us know of his ties to the kaballah.......2 composers that stike me as being of supreme importance for modern man and the great dilema he finds himself in, all the mysterious evils cropping up daily,, are Allan Pettersson, 1911-1980 and Alfred Schnittke, 1934-1998. ...Which is why i really have no interest in the classicists and romantics, with Mozart and 3 operas from Wagner being the exceptions in the era 1791-1875(Debussy) Even 20th century composers like Sibelius syms 2-7 and all of Stravinsky I find to be a form of entertainment but not dealing with the greater issues facing the individual. Classical music should help the individual in dealing with his current world otherwise its just a simple form of entertainment, like Chopin, Tchaikovsky and hundreds like them.