Zero Stat Gun

How do you use this thing? Very confused, i think i may just have wasted money, could have bought 3 records for somewhere instead of staring dumb founded at the record wondering why i still hear the static after using the gun.

Does that little cover have to be on or off? What is the proper way to use the gun?
128x128thegoldenear
The directions are on the back of the box. Cover off - squeeze slow - about 12 inches from record not spinning - one squeeze in middle and than one each at 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock. I use it on record on clening machine before I clean and on record on turn table after record is cleaned.
How do you know it is static that you are hearing?

Using the Zerostat prior to play doesn't guarantee you of anything as static can build up during play. I only use the Zerostat after a play. It only takes one squeeze per side.
For a Zero-stat "how to", do what Cerrot said. Use it when you need to and squeeze slowly. If you hear/feel clicking you're squeezing too fast and it won't work.

As for your report of hearing "static" during play, you're not. Frequent or constant snaps, crackles and pops are not caused by static. They're caused by dirt and/or by damage from previous plays, as others explained on your previous thread .

Audible static discharges are rare (though not unknown). If you did get one it would typically take several revolutions (at least) for your rig to build up enough static potential to produce a second one. My rigs have not produced an audible static discharge in five years of constant use, despite a static-prone winter climate.

For those on tight budgets a Zero-Stat is an optional tool. There are simple (and free) ways to live without one.

Record cleaning, however, is not optional. A record being played uncleaned is a record being destroyed. Priorities...

P.S. Skip the Gruv Glide, at least for new records. It may quiet a few old, ruined LP's but it smothers the life out of good ones and builds up residue on the stylus that must be removed.
I always thought it was a squeeze away from the record, them one slow release onto the record as it is spinning. At least that's the way I've been using it (successfully) for many years.

Bob