Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
JH - I have given up directly spinning CD's. I rip them or download off the web.

I have actually started spinning more LP's as my system gets better and better. Analog is incomparable.
Loudspeakers with Powered Woofers
Some loudspeakers include integral power amplifiers to drive the woofers. Such speakers provide a range of bass-tuning options not possible with conventional passive loudspeakers. A speaker with a powered woofer can be equalized to extend its cut-off frequency, allowing a relatively small-footprint speaker to deliver response to 20Hz. You can also adjust the bass level to best match your room. The ability to adjust each speaker’s bass output independently is a huge benefit, particularly in asymmetrical rooms. For example, if one speaker is in a corner and one speaker has no sidewall next to it, you can dial down the bass level from the corner-located speaker to compensate for its greater room gain.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/a-guide-to-better-bass-tas-197-1/
Thanks for sharing that last post. I too am going to switch to the powered Vandersteen Quatro for just that reason. I have the opposite situation to Matt's in that I have my system in a medium size loft and the back wall is 43" tall (same height as my Treo's and the Quatro is similar, but I lost some of that room pressure. We all have our cross to bear, lol.

Most of the rooms I've listened in have too many contraptions etc... Fix one, start another.... Once I listened to ONE person whom I learned to trust, my room not only started to sound better, but I loved my system more...

Matt, I totally agree on vinyl. That's why I have been upgrading. No matter how good the digital is getting, it just doesn't do what vinyl does. I do wish I had a reel to reel and metal tapes though ;).....
Disheartening that digital hasn't yet caught up to turntables. No one can say you didn't put any time into trying, Matt! I'll remain blissfully ignorant since getting into vinyl isn't realistic.

Maybe there is merit to MQA?

Do members here, generally speaking, make an effort to select the best digital mastering work for a given album?

- Josh
06-22-15: Mattnshilp
JH - I have given up directly spinning CD's. I rip them or download off the web.

I have actually started spinning more LP's as my system gets better and better. Analog is incomparable.

So does this mean the dac quest is back on?