Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
07-26-15: Mattnshilp
Agear - I gave up on my meds a long time ago. Alas, they only work until noon and then wore off completely leaving me in a rebound state far worse then what I started off with.....

Ha! I bet most of your fiddling occurs at night when the wife and kids are asleep. The lab is only open at night....:)
Why is PM the Model Two out of production?

Everyone who hears the Pacific Microsonics Model Two of course immediately asks the question, "Why it is no longer available?"

Here is the answer written by Dave Peck, who formerly worked for Pacific Microsonics and now works for Euphonix (which continued the manufacturing of the Model Two after Pacific Microsonics was acquired by Microsoft), and was intimately involved with the manufacturing and testing of both the Model One and the Model Two:

"The HDCD converters were discontinued because it became impossible to build any more. When several critical components became obsolete, Pacific Microsonics made a 'last time buy' of as many of them as possible to allow production to continue for another year or two, as well as buying a large number of other components that were expected to go obsolete during that time period. All of them did go obsolete. So, at the end of that time period, it was then completely impossible to build any more. It would have required such a significant redesign that it would have been better to start from scratch on a completely new design.

However, by that time, Pacific Microsonics no longer existed and the converters were being built by Euphonix (by the same crew using all the same materials, test equipment, etc.). Keep in mind that the Model Two was never supposed to be a source of revenue for Pacific Microsonics. They were essentially sold at cost, and the company made money by selling the HDCD decoder chips to CD and DVD player manufacturers like Rotel and Denon. Since this did not benefit Euphonix, it was not practical for Euphonix to fund the design of a new version of the product. And as was pointed out, Keith Johnson and the other designers were busy with other work anyway and would not have been available.

BTW, although it is not possible to build new HDCD converters, Euphonix has a significant stock of service parts so there is no problem getting one of these converters serviced.

And yes! Keith Johnson's recordings are absolutely amazing. Check out anything he has done on Reference Recordings. He's also just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet."
Coincidentally, I found a dealer in north eastern Connecticut who sells both T&F and BMC. I will call tomorrow and set up a demo. The dealer has the Ra I believe, but the distributor felt that Isis was a better option for my room.

I'll keep you updated. Unfortunately, the dealer is almost 3 hours away. I also plan to go hear the Avalon speakers (Time and Isis) and that dealer is in the exact opposite direction, South 2.5 hours. Sigh.
That is a very interesting piece of history Matt. It's sad how some quality companies can come and go.

Avalon is another good option (at least I am a fan). I am glad you spoke with Bob about T&F. He is a jewel, and its worth a sniff.
06-09-15: Mcondon
Are you in New Jersey? If so, I would give Brett Messler at Audio 202 in Far Hills a call. Some of the speakers on your audition list were also on mine. Brett carries some interesting brands you won't hear elsewhere. I auditioned Behold Tanara speakers and thought they were a lot better than Vivid, Marten, Wilson, Raidho, and Acoustic Zen. Behold speakers also would work well in a room your size. I have no affiliation, I am just a former satisfied customer and thought he might be in your locale. If you are not in New Jersey, sorry.

The Behold stuff looks interesting as well...although its 55K....:\