Requesting jazz quartet CD suggestions

I heard some great live club quartet Jazz that I loved recently on a business trip with a rental car equipped with XM radio. I didn't figure out how to push a specific button to identify the artist and CD name until I turned the car in (stupid me) or I could have written down dozens of potential CDs to peruse. This Jazz was not "cool jazz" or "smooth" jazz, but real live quartet Jazz with drums, bass, horns and piano. Can you guys direct me to some well recorded CDs that might fit this bill? Thanks.
mijknarf
kplu.org sound stream. I've lived all over the U.S. because of my profession and this is one of the best public stations for traditional jazz and lots of quartet/trio music. They play the gambit of old to new artists and always tell you what they've played. Welcome to non-disposible music.
For someone still recording, producing very assessible sax orientated recordings of jazz standards try Houston Persons. I'm fond of a recent recording by him doing a duet w/Ron Carter but he has 6 or 7 others with a standard grouping recorded on High Note CD's. I'm partial to "Blue Velvet". You might also like Ron Carter's recordings with his own group.
The Modern Jazz Quartet(piano,bass,drums,mallet percussion) was together as an ensemble for almost thirty years.(They broke up when one of them died.) They got so good that people thought they were playing prearranged stuff when they were actually improvising.

MJQ is salon style jazz at its finest. I would start with one of their compilation albums and then get specific albums from the time(s) that appeals to you.
Check out the "LA Four". You will surely like this one. Also try Joshua Redman, any CD but his "Live at the Village Vanguard" is very cool.

Good Listening,

Steve Bachman
Phoenix, AZ