Best CD of Rachmaninoff's Third Piano C

I would like to purchase a CD of Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto and am asking for suggestions. Joel
joeldoss
Best how?? There is a recording by Rachmaninoff. Sounds like crap considering it's 70 years old. Can't argue with the interpretation considering. I'll get back later with more.
Sugarbrie-reminds me of the scene in Annie Hall where the pedantic college professor is telling Kurt Vonnegut (unknowingly) that Vonnegut can't write! I'm partial to Vladimir Ashkenazy with the LSO and Previn on London 444-839-2. Great performance and good recording. Takes a Russian although Byron Janis on Mercury is another good choice.
Ashkenazy is a good all around choice no one will argue with. As Kitch29 says get the Previn/Decca series from the 1970s, you can get budget double disc with all four concertos. Ashkenazy also has 1980s set with Haitink/Decca,
and although performances are good the early digital sound quality is inferior to Previn set. Also pass on the Ashkenazy "decca legends" 2/3 cocerto disc from the 1960s, I was dissapointed with sound here.

I think the Wild/Horenstein complete set on Chandos budget line is also right near the top, very good sound and Earl Wild has much panache, will not dissappoint.

My top choice for Rach 3rd piano concerto is Agerich/Chailly
on Phillips label (sorry full price CD) a live recording that is spectacular combined with an equally great performance of Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 with Kondrashin. This is a disc that every classical musical lover must own!
Sugerbrie,
I guess I mean your favorite recording. I listened to two Cliburn semi-finalists last night perform this piece with the Fort Worth Symphony. I would like to own a good recording of this beautiful but difficult piece.
Joel