How good is the Shunyata Venom Silver A/C outlet?

I thought my Wattgate A/C outlet was expensive, but I just saw a Venom A/C Outlet in the 2005 Musicdirect catalog listing for $195! Can this outlet really be that good? Thanks! Stan
talon4
Grant: Neither the Shunyata website or the Music Direct website feature a view of the "enlarged back of the outlet". Perhaps you could direct us to such a view. In light of the fact that the Hubbell 5362 is already housed in an oversized "chassis" and contains little or no ferrous metal to start with, and that the front and side views of the receptacle appear identical to the 5362, perhaps you can understand my skepticism. It also seems a bit odd to me that a "custom manufactured outlet" would need to be "disassembled" to be plated; if it is indeed custom manufactured, surely it would be more cost effective to simply plate those plated parts before assembly and pass those cost savings on to the consumer, rather than build it, rip it apart, plate it and reassemble it?

Just an "ill informed opinion".
Why would I need to direct anyone to "such a view". The outlets are on the market and readily available for scrutiny by all. It is not our purpose to "prove" anything on the internet since this, and many other threads purpose is merely the continuation of irreconcilable, circular argument--aimed more at promoting linguistic superiority than truth. Anyone examining a 5362 next to the outlet made for us by Hubbel will readily be able to tell the difference. I am also confident that Hubbel will gladly describe the differences if asked.

The "disassembled" term was my fault. I am sure the outlets are plated prior to assembly, but again, you seem to be forming your reply as a means for "argument" or "exposure" rather than simple dialogue. If you are so invested in exposing some perceived untruth and you think we are only gilding a 5362, then by all means, contact Hubbel and post their reply. I in no way had intended to promote or color what is a legitimate, exclusive product. I am merely correcting your statements presented as fact, which are untrue.

If I am contacted regarding someone's misrepresentation of our products in a public forum, I will take the time to correct an opinion stated as fact. I apologize if you took offense to my "ill informed opinion" comments. My reply was not directed at your comments in particular, but more as an observation of the misinformation that is often stated as fact on this and many other forums.

That said, your recommendations of inexpensive outlets are solid, and I am sure most would perform exceedingly well. We refer many customers to the 5362's who might otherwise balk at spending $100.

There is no witchcraft or strong-arming involved here, people can try before they buy from any vendor we work with, so I'm not sure why this is anything more than a moot point. If your point is that great performing outlets can be had for less than a Venom outlet, then I agree whole-heartedly. If you are stating that Shunyata is misrepresenting, lying or "hyping" a product that is exclusive to our company, then I feel it necessary to state specifics.

Grant
Samuel, I think a good outlet is the most cost effective *device* in an audio/video system. I'm glad to know there's another choice in the market. Congratulations.

Now, we need Lak to test one of these in his system and write a review! Maybe Shunyata will send him one for evaluation and posting a review...

Larry, where are you?

"Well Oli, this is another fine mess that you've gotten me into." -Stan Laurel... It wasn't my intention to start a controversy of any kind. I'm interested in an exceptional A/C outlet for an amp that I plan on upgrading to in the next month or two. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this outlet, and yes at $195 this does seem expensive. As we all know, the Shunyata Hydra 8 and earlier Hydra models are top of the line power conditioners. Personally, I'd like to have one some day. The Shunyata Silver Venom A/C outlet is "used in all their Hydra models," according to Music Direct's 2005 catalog.(page 55)-I'm sure that this is a VERY good outlet. I talked to Shunyata Research's Caelin Gabriel about 5 years ago, concerning my Shunyata Black Mamba that I own. He was very knowledgeable, and very much the gentleman. He talked to me for over twenty minutes, over the phone, explaining his products, breakin, etc. I left that conversation very impressed. I think that their A/C outlet is probably exceptional, full of long hours of research and development, and competitive with the best out there. I was just wondering how it compared to other upper end outlets. Has anyone tried this outlet? Good Listening! Stan
Sorry! The correct quote is "Well Stanley, this is another fine mess that you've gotten me into."- Oliver Hardy..