HDTV and In Ground Cable - Does this work?

I currently have a sat dish, non-eliptical, non-HD. I wanted to go HD and was going to purchase a new dish, receiver, etc, etc, etc. I called the local cable company (Comcast/ATT) and was informed their digital cable will pass HD signals, with thier HD box converter. The person explaining this had to ask someone else several times, and I even called a second time, same response and actions from another person. Question is this:

Can one get HD signals from non sat, non antenna signals?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xporschecab
Well, I did just that!

Went with the digital package, which includes an HD box ($5 per month baked into the price) and a million channels, HBO included. March madness is going to have several games in HD, and all of this for $65, less $25 per month (sat refund) for 16 months!

Sweet!

Thanks
Dan
Dan- let us know what the performance is. My cable has just been bought out by Com-cast.
Swampwalker -

As I stated, mine did too, but I was using DishNetwork. Just cancel that deal, and Com-Cast is coming Sunday.
I will know what HDTV looks like in my house for the first time! I hope is good!!

Not bad pricing, but the truth will be in the pudding.

Will report back!

Dan
I'ved been on Directv, bought a Panasonic TU HDS-20. My family hates it, too many buttons to push. If I can get a picture via cable that looks like a DVD on my system, i would be thrilled. One ?- does Comcast box have a DD out to go to my Yammie RXV-995. The toslink out on the Panasonic sounds pretty good. It won't compete with my 2 channel set up (@ 10x cost) but beats the heck out of the DD output from my Sony DSS.
The Comcast box I am getting has COAX, not sure of toslink.
Everyone I have talked to feels it is that of a DVD, and 'at times' better, with the HD demo channel 'awesome'.

Heck, you can sell your HD box, and put the extra few hundred dollars towards a DVD-R for all of the HD recordings!!

Dan