HDTV and In Ground Cable - Does this work?

I currently have a sat dish, non-eliptical, non-HD. I wanted to go HD and was going to purchase a new dish, receiver, etc, etc, etc. I called the local cable company (Comcast/ATT) and was informed their digital cable will pass HD signals, with thier HD box converter. The person explaining this had to ask someone else several times, and I even called a second time, same response and actions from another person. Question is this:

Can one get HD signals from non sat, non antenna signals?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xporschecab
The Comcast box I am getting has COAX, not sure of toslink.
Everyone I have talked to feels it is that of a DVD, and 'at times' better, with the HD demo channel 'awesome'.

Heck, you can sell your HD box, and put the extra few hundred dollars towards a DVD-R for all of the HD recordings!!

Dan
Well co-ax would be even better with respect to the digital feed to the HT recvr, assumming the Comcast box is any good. Although I must admit I'm not much of a purist when it comes to HT/TV sound.
Well, an update!

COMCAST IS NOT INFORMED of their goods to sell!

The poor individual shows up and gives me this piece of crap box, no component out for HD and no COAX or TOSLINK.

I said, "how is this supposed to get HD and Digital sound?"
"Oh, it won't, we don't offer HD yet, sometime in 2003 or 2004, and there is no digital sound".

Shocker.

So, I will keep the garbage sat dish I have now.

STAY AWAY FROM COMCAST unless you absolutely, positively, can not avoid them!!

AND, their internet service is $60 a month now!

Dan