Concrete or Wood floor in listening room?

I'm thinking about building a listening room. It will be a concrete slab. I'll be using carpeting in the room. Should I put plywood down on the concrete first or just carpet over the concrete?

Thanks,
Mike
mjglo
Mike, I've seen concrete work but I would float a floor if I had the chance. 2X6 or 2X8 with 12 or 16 inch centers would be great for flooring on a concrete slab. You didn't say what your equipment is so it makes it a little bit harder but I've heard analog gear with friends of mine and you don't want to have a lot of bounce in the floor which is why I would keep the centers closer together.
Where do you live?
Here in Florida the carpet and pad go down right over the concrete slab.
Q-man,
Carpeting on a concrete slab is done no matter where you live. I'm more interested in the sound quality of one versus the other rather than building practices.

Boss302,
My gear is a digital front end to tubes to horns.

Thank you all
In that case, put the carpet over the slab with some good padding. You don't need to add a wood floor and open your room up to potential vibrations. You also don't need the low frequency waves reflecting between the slab and the wood floor above it.

I like block walls instead of studs too.

Horns huh? I love horns. My home theater room speakers are all fully horn loaded.
Horns huh, have you talked to Jim Smith of Avantgarde? He will strongly beg that you put wood over the concrete. I talked to him in mid construction of my room and he talked me into the same basic construction as Dave described. I can't say if it's better since it's a tough one to A/B, but my horns sound pretty darn good in there. Call Jim, he's really helpful and would be able to really describe why it is so important.