Usher CP-6381

Can I get any opinions of this speaker? The Usher line seems to be a deal but is this speaker comparable to other high end speakers?
pal
i also have the 6381 and i am very happy driving them with an aloia 15.01 amp.one of the most underrated amps out there .it is rated 60w but was measured 120! it is very smooth in the mids and highs but has great control in the bass because it can produce a lot of current.
and the best thing is that you can get this 6000$ beauty of an italian amp for 70% of its retail prize if you are lucky to find one on the gon.
Hum4god,

Sounds like a nice amp to match the 6381's. If you read my post previously on this thread above..you'll notice that I said I was going to Electrostats after selling my 801's....well that WAS the plan, but as you may have noticed..I went back to the Ushers 6371's instead. I realized what an exceptional speaker the Usher was and with the right amp...superb! The 71's do better for my modest size room.
I believe that the original poster of this thread went with another speaker however FWIW..
Kehut, are you still around? I just dug up this old thread as I'm considering buying a used pair of 81's. It's been awhile so I was curious if you're still using the 71's? Also, I would very much like to hear why you prefer these to the 81's.

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds as though the 81's might be a little hard to drive? At least with the Odyssey Stratos, which I thought was a pretty beefy amp, and one that I've been considering.

I have a fairly large room ~ 18' X 22' X 14' (WLH) and an open floor plan. I have allot of space to fill. I use an Outlaw model-755 200wpc @ 8 Ohms rms all channels driven and 300 wpc @ 4 Ohms. My current speakers are Energy Veritas 2.3i's which have specifiction very similar to the 81's, but they list 87dB anechoic and 90dB typical in-room, both are 8 Ohm.

Any info you (or anyone else familiar with these speakers) can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks
Jack,

Still have the 71's..both the 71 and 81 are similar in their sound..the 81's can bass punch a bit better IMO. I used a range of amps from a 250W Plinius SA-250 down to the Manley Stingray at 40W..both will drive the 81's without a sweat.You have more than enough amp to drive the 81's IMO

I have a 19x22x8 room which opens into the rest of the house. Because the best sonics in my system put the speakers almost 4ft from the front wall...My listening seat is roughly 10' from the speakers..not really near field..but would have liked a few more feet.

What I found is that the 8" woofer of the 81's was not as integrated with the mid/tweeter at that distance...The 71's have a more coherent presentation in my room with little sacrifice in the bass...Both are extraordinary speakers..If you can place them where you can be further back..I'm sure they Will not disappoint. FWIW..I heard the 81's at a dealer and auditioned both the 71's and 81's..In his room, the 81's were killer..listening seat was more than 10'( I would estimate ~14-15 ft)..But, in my room the 71's do better.

hope that helps you.

Ken
Kehut, thanks for the response. I bought the 81's today, but the seller is waiting for new boxes to arrive so it will be a couple of weeks before I get them. Enough time to sell some stuff to help pay for them. :-)

My seating distance is ~14' from the speakers. I'm more concerned about the distance from the rear wall as these speakers are rear ported. Haven't tried a rear ported speaker in this room.

Good to hear they're not that hard to drive. I really like my Veritas' so I have high hopes indeed for the 81's.

I'll do a follow-up post and let everyone know how the two speakers compare once I've had them in my system for awhile.

I'm going to be like a kid waiting for Christmas the next couple of weeks/ :-)