Differences between Accuphase C-2820 and C-3800?

Hi there, I'm mulling over the purchase of the C-2820 but have not totally written off the flagship C-3800. Does anyone know how they differ sonically?

Thanks in advance.
classact
Nvp..you obviously haven't read the technical changes on the Accuphase website. Just one of many major changes is using superior circuit boards that were not in the C-2810 such as glass cloth flourocarbin resin boards. The power supply in the 2820 is larger with bigger toroidal transformers and larger capacitors. The multiple circuit boards have a larger amount of small caps and components.
This is a major upgrade not a minor one and Accuphase has a reputation when putting out new models to put them on a higher level than the previous one. I was off the mark saying 98% but it is accurate that Arturo did state 90%. Again, the reason for the 2820 is that the C-3800 is a slow mover for Accuphase since it sells for over $40K and the 2820 will capture greater buying power since its almost half the price.
Audiozen,

First, I have actually read the user manuals of the C-2810 and C-2820 (also of C-2800) pre-amps, and also compared the guts of these pre-amps based on what it is written in the manuals. The three pre-amps are part of the same family and share very similar circuits layout and circuit boards. However, unlike you, I know that teflon is - a polymer made of fluoro-carbon. (Teflon is also known as PTFE, i.e. polytetrafluoroethylene.) Now if you read the manuals of the older Accuphase premium preamps, e.g. C-2800 and C-290V, you will learn that Accuphase is using flouro-carbon resin (sometimes referred in the manual as "flourocarbon" resin other times as teflon) for its circuit boards since 1999. Thus, not such a new thing!

Second, Japan is the most important market for Accuphase. They sell more than 50 percent of their production locally! The second largest market for Accuphase is Germany, and chances are that USA represent a very small (if not insignificant) percent of the Accuphase market. Since in Japan the C-3800 is only 50 percent more expensive than the C-2820, I am very sure Accuphase sells enough C-3800 in Japan, and that it is not at all worried by the low numbers of C-3800 sold in USA. In fact, if you would know anything about Accuphase (e.g. how arrogant and pride their owners are, or the fact that the important Accuphase international distributors are chosen among relatives of the Accuphase owners) you would not for a second claim that Accuphase dumped they top of the line technology into the C-2820 preamp just because the C-3800 was too expensive to be sold in USA. That is dealer talk!

Third, unlike you, I find it silly to express my opinions here when I do not have first hand experience with a product. (A year ago you told me and Dave that the C-2820 gives 98% of the performance of C-3800 but admitted that you have never listen the C-2810 and the C-2820; now after you have apparently listened the C-2810, you say that the C-2820 gives only 90% of the performance of C-3800. How do you come up with these numbers?). Moreover, I find it very wrong to give advice to somebody based on what you were told by your dealer, or on experience gain only by reading reviews and/or user manuals (which you obviously do not fully understand)!
Baloney. I have no idea who Dave is. Arturo is the only exclusive wholesale Distributor for
Accuphase in the United States. He is very objective in his assessment and has more experience with Accuphase than anyone else in the country. He is not my retail dealer. He is a wholesaler. Why would he want to jeopardize the sales of the C-3800? You are really showing your ignorance referring to the manuals.
I could give two craps about the manuals. I am specifically
referring to the technical information in the Catalog pages and interior photo's on the Accuphase website. You have no idea what your talking about by stating the C-2820 is a minor change from the C-2810. The C-2820 is a whole new creature.

I have never said the C-2820 is a minor update over the C-2810. Only that
the difference between them can not be qualified as a quantum leap. (The C-
2800, C-2810 and C-2820 pre-amps belong to the same family and the
differences between them are incremental.)

You on the other hand have listed circuit boards made of fluorocarbon resin
as one of the important advancements in C-2820 over C-2810. As I've
mentioned, you have no point. Both have circuits boards of fluorocarbon.

It is certainly not the first time I see you giving advices that are silly and/or
incorrect. Instead of continuing to argue with you or to expose your
ignorance. I will let the readers figure out for themselves how trustable you
really are by inviting them to glance at two of your previous threads:

World's best Pre-amp for $10K and above?

PMC vs. Salk Sound Speakers. Which is better?
Nvp... You are in outer space and LaLa land on the tech info on the two Pre-amps. The C-2810 uses teflon copper circuit boards. The glass cloth flourocarbon resin boards are only used in the C-3800 and the new C-2820. This board material is extremely expensive and provides a much lower noise floor. Incremental improvement? Absurb. Do your homework and go buy a six pack.