Do you get Ringing in the Ears from your hi-fi?

Lets face it, any prolonged exposure to loud sound can produce a permanent hearing loss. Even ONE exposure to sound over 120 DB for a few minutes can permanently damage the delicate ear apparatus. Have you found yourself buying higher powered amps and turning the volume up over the years, or have you joined the ranks of those listening to 6" speakers and 2 watt triodes? I limit my exposure to under 15 minutes per day. Some say that a person can listen an ultra clean sounding, low distortion system without any hearing loss, such as in a recording studio. I have found that listening to sealed enclosure speakers(klh or AR) produces more hearing loss that a bass reflex speaker will. Have you ever noticed RINGING IN THE EARS after listening to your stereo? This is actually an indication of damage to the hearing mechanism.
mint604
I deliberately search out for music that sounds beautiful, as opposed to angry

Me too, Rich. Well said. And of course, less blasting with Metallica means less ear damage.

( I still like Dylan but he wrote a lot of angry songs, and if they don't also have a sense of humour I can't listen to them. The good ones sound better on vinyl, the mad ones are easier to skip on CD. Can't have it both ways, nuts. )

To really do your ears in takes levels at which the gear may well be distorting. Audiophiles don't like that much, I've noticed.
I have found that listening to sealed enclosure speakers(klh or AR) produces more hearing loss that a bass reflex speaker will.

Please explain how you measured this increase in hearing loss.
in my childhood due to a freequent and destructive ear infections i lost hearing on my right ear. after this period is gone(underwent adenoids surgery when i was 10) the infections had ceased and the hearing started to come back but still not completely.

when i listen to the music especially rock i could say that none could stand in same listening room.

i use Totem Forrest and biamp them with 250W Sunfire SRA and VTL MB100.
Does Shawn Colvin's "Sunny Came Home" qualify as a happy song or an angry one???
Trelja:

I wasn't quite going there ... obviously, I was referring to the overall sound or tone of the music. Lately, I look to music to be soothing and beautiful. Opera works, because even though I may know the plot, I can't understand the words ... which leaves me free to focus on the vocals and the music.

Dylan is interesting though. I enjoy his music so much and own just about every album, yet I find "Hurricane" very angry and "Idiot Wind" not so. Go figure.

Regards, Rich

P.S. Shawn Colvin is equally intriguing. "Avalanche" is a great song, but man there is some anger there.