Upgrading Klipsch La Scala crossovers

Am considering a vintage pair and know that "everybody" goes to custom xovers and/or wire. Where do I want to look for these things? Who's making these xovers? A google turned up little.

I'm hoping there might be somebody in the Chicago area would who would be willing to come up to SE WI to install new xovers & wire if/when I get them. I would be comfortable doing it myself (I can solder), but probably more comfortable with a pro.
paulfolbrecht
Undertow,

You are right, I do Klipsch xovers and other brands of speakers xovers. However, I haven't done any heritage Klipsch speakers because as long as DeanG is doing them, that's the cats meow.

Improving your speakers will take your system a LONG way. The internals of most speakers are super cheap since the consumer doesn't see it. Upgrading the parts on the xovers is also a fairly easy upgrade since you don't even have to ship your speakers to do it.

Let us know what you end up doing...

Mike
A word of warning on so called "upgrading" La Scala crossovers.

I've owned my La Scalas for well over 20 years and have tried the upgrades you've mentioned.

First I doubled the side walls and ran two by four pieces of rock maple along the outside edges to re-enforce the cabinets. This made a huge difference with bass output and quality.

I upgrated the tweeters with Bob Crites tweeters. These tweeters are far superior the the stock models and make a huge improvement.

Next, I replaced all the stock wiring with DH Labs hook-up wire. I was really surprised at just how much a difference just replacing the wire made, but it was huge.

Finally, and a word of warning, I tried a set of Dean's crossovers and found I didn't prefer the "Huge" difference these crossovers made.

IMHO, the stock crossover sound the best for these speakers.

I should also mention that I bought my La Scalas new and all their internal wiring and crossovers are/were in "as new" condition.

Assuming your crossovers are in good condition, I would leave them alone. If they need replacing, I would get a new set from Bob Crites, who designs his to sound identical to the stock units.

I also run Walker Audio's "High Definition Links" with these speakers, and find they work as advertised.

Thanks for all the replies. What I've learned is that Dean's 1st-order xover are most likely best for my needs which include the Welborne 45s at around 2W. The 1st-order network provides a very easy, constant-impedance load, and furthermore I tend to prefer 1st-order networks.

I'm picking up the speakers (made in '85) next weekend and will likely order a pair of these xovers before long.

Thanks again.