To biwire or not to biwire, that is the question??

Thanks for taking the time to read. I have sifted through the mound of information regarding biwiring but have yet to come to a clear yes or no on the matter.

My question is as follows: Using a single 2CH amplifier run to speakers that are set-up to biwire utilizing a biwire cable (2 connections amp end/ 4 connections speaker end)should return no greater result than running a single wire to that same speaker and utilizing jumpers??? My reading suggests that unless you are bi-amping, simply taking the source of the signal at the amp, (2 connections) and splitting that into (4 connections at the speaker) is not positively affecting the sound?? Bi-amping on the other hand may return an improved sound as the signals are isolated and could affect the resistance of the load?

So I guess what my reading has indicated is that if you are only running a single amp (2 connections) to a bi-wire ready speaker (4 coonnections) you are really paying for a cable that has additional ends but should return no great end product as the signals are technically not distinct as in the case of using 2 ampsor an amp set up for bi-amping?

Any thoughts are welcome as this seems to be an endless debate???
nissancrazy
The way I understand it is that the more separation you have between the two (biwire) signal paths, the better. So two pairs of speaker cables from an amp with a single pair of outputs, to a biwire speaker, should sound better than one pair of cables plus jumpers. In my experience, this has been true, for whatever reason and however unlikely it seems to be. It could be that it's because you are using the same type of wire for both connections and/or that there is less interaction between the signals since the cables paths are physically separate over a longer distance. At any rate, it does seem to sound marginally better.

I used to think the idea that the metal bar strap/jumpers that come with biwire speakers sound bad was ludicrous, but then I tried some van den Hul jumpers that really do seem to improve the bass over stock straps. Why? Again, no idea. I just go with the flow.

By the same token, separating the signal even more by using two separate amps yields even greater improvement. This too has been my experience. It is the same idea behind balanced dual-mono amplifier and preamplifier designs I suppose.

Arthur
First let me tell you a joke that seems to mirror your conclusion: A lab professor has taught a frog to jump on command. On "jump" the frog jumps 20ft.; as measured by the assistant. The professor decides to alter the experiment and removes one leg. On the 'jump' command w/3 legs the frog jumps 7ft;as measured. Further,a second leg is removed. On the 'jump' command the frog w/ 2 legs,jumps 2 ft. The 3rd leg is removed. On 'jump' the frog jumps about 3 inches. Now the 4th leg is removed and on the 'jump' command the frog just stays there.

Analysing his data the professor concludes: a frog w/4 good legs jumps 20ft. A frog w/3 good legs jumps 7ft. a frog w/2 good legs jumps 2ft. A frog w/ 1 good leg jumps 3 inches. A frog w/ no legs is deaf.
Not all but most speakers w/ biwire capability, sound much better w/2 seperate runs of wire. One of the keys being the low run allows the speaker to 'see' its own unincumbered run of wire / not having to share. Buy 2 sep.runs of the same wire and analise your own data.
This is just a joke. I assure you--NO frogs were harmed in preparing this post.
I HAVE biwired several sets of speakers (Infinity RSIIa, Magnepan IIb, and my current pair B&W 805s)
Biwiring does have an effect of making the image and sound clearer.
I had, long ago, bi-amped the Infinity RSIIa, but without much success (probably the amps were to blame)
I have bi-wired my VR4 HSE's and my Kef REference 3s and noticed no difference. Neither did my girlfriend :) I like the "idea" of bi-wiring, I have to admit.
Some speakers sound better bi-wired, some do not. the only way to find out is to try both methods. Cables should be of the same brand and model.Many speaker manufactures offer bi-wire because that is in fashion like balanced interconnects, but do not believe it sounds any better. Some speaker manufactures design with bi-wire in mind and the speakers sound better bi-wired. The best method is to try both and decide for yourself which you prefer.If you prefer a single run,replace the factory jumpers with a pair of same brand jumpers as your speaker cable.

Mike