Bookshelves

I hope on recommedations on ($800-1800) polite/(thin) sounding bookshelves. Many miles away from sounding bloated. Easy, maybe a tad 'boring' and musical bookshelves. I'm aware that some wave this off as anti-hifi. But that's simply my taste. I want to enjoy them but not feel 'impressed' or overwhelmed by them.
I hope on some pointers on the right direction.
vince2
British speakers tend to have the rep of being "polite" ... look for some of the LS3/5a models from Spendor, Harbeth or Clements ... older but still relevant and hold there resale value better than most should you not like them for some reason
Make sure that they don't have a rear port.
You could even go for something little in a sealed enclosure like gallo's with a sub on the floor somewhere?
LS3/5A's embody the soul of your request. They don't get better than this, that is why they are still popular 30 years latter! I've been responsible for a lot of friends buying them over the years, and most still have them, and just love them. BTW, I think the Rogers and Spendors were best at what you are looking for. Some of the latter ones started to 'enhance' the FR and some actually use different drivers, they are really nothing more than LS3/5a look alikes, not sound alikes.