Speaker Technology over the last 10 years

I bought my last pair of speakers 13 years ago, Legacy Classic. How much has speaker technology changed since then? I know in terms of amp and cd player there has been tremendous advancements but what about speakers?

Are speakers for the most part dependent upon the source? I appreciate any comments.
revrob
Cone materials, surrounds,spiders, cone shapes, crossover parts, cabinet designs, binding posts sets, internal dampening all have improved for transducers tweeters have made the most progress. But your legacy is not obsoleted by any of these if you still enjoy them that's all that maters. Use them for 5 more years than maybe give thought to upgrades.
I think (all speaker companies) needs to start making AlNiCo Drivers again. They are a few that are using them now and are getting BEST OF SHOW AWARDS too! www.stereomojo.com/RMAF%202008/RMAF2008BESTOFSHOW.htm
i still can't understand how anyone can get excited by cones. i have never heard a full range all-cone speaker that i have liked.

That is quite a strong statement. Have you had your hearing tested lately? I think most everyone would agree that it is easy to get excited about many a good panel, good ribbons, good horns or good cone speakers.

Sure there are differences and advantages and disadvantages to each approach - but among high quality speakers for us average tin eared folks like myself there is a lot of great stuff out there to get excited about.
hi shadorne:

i think you are ignoring the obvious. i exchew cone speaker designs. i realize others like them. i just have a hard time fathoming why they are so popular, given their faults. i will never buy one .
i exchew cone speaker designs. i realize others like them. i just have a hard time fathoming why they are so popular, given their faults. i will never buy one .

I've listened to a particular Martin Logan electrostatic speakers some time back and the sound was fantastic. Very coherent, full and seamless. I am staying away from these electrostatic panel speakers mainly because of WAF and the extra-care and maintenance needed to keep the speakers in tip-top condition (I've read that the panels need to be vacuumed or washed}. Also, I got to know that the panels have a life span of about 10 years before they need to be replaced whereas conventional cone designs will likely last longer.

I don't think it is a "fault" issue that contributes to the popularity of cone speakers but more towards listening preferences and priorities. Some folks prefer the "flaws" in cone design speakers and there are many of these excellent speakers around. It may not sound as bad as you have exaggerated it as there are still many people who enjoyed listening to cone speakers and can happily live with them in the long run.