Speaker Technology over the last 10 years

I bought my last pair of speakers 13 years ago, Legacy Classic. How much has speaker technology changed since then? I know in terms of amp and cd player there has been tremendous advancements but what about speakers?

Are speakers for the most part dependent upon the source? I appreciate any comments.
revrob
I suspect that computer modeling has made a huge impact on driver design. They can now accurately predict breakup and non pistonic behavior, and design even low cost drivers to minimize these aberrations.

Though I don't have any real knowledge of mid fi speakers, I imagine they have gained as much in quality as true high end products, simply by virtue of being able to buy or manufacture these modeled drivers, and know where their cheap boxes will flex and need reinforcement.

Just look at some of the sub $1000 models being reviewed in TAS and Stereophile. They get great reviews. I dont think this point would have garnered serious listening or many reviews 10 years ago.

I use quite small powered genelec monitors in my mac based edit and mix system. The shape of the metal cabinet and built in wave guide was all computer modeled, with a corresponding sound quality.

Quads and Soundlabs (with new PX panels) have improved immensely over the past decade, playing lower, louder and more dynamically.

Better quality caps are available for crossovers, and better internal wiring as well.

More and more designs seem to shave away more of the front baffle for less diffraction.

Cabinet materials have evolved as well. My current speakers are made from ceramic wrapped in kevlar.

No mater what choice you make, familiarize yourself with recent offerings. If nothing else it's fun and informative.
Wow. A lot of great responses. I do like my Legacy speakers and because I have recently upgraded my amp and cd player I thought I might do the same with the speakers.

Still undecided however the response gives me some reassurance that if I did decide to keep them I wouldn't be losing much. The old saying "you can't lose what you never had."

Thanks
i think you are ignoring the obvious.

Obviously cone speakers, for all their faults, are extremely popular - not just with consumers but also in professional audio engineering circles and with musicians and artists.

I don't know of many multi-million dollar recording facilities that use panels.

I don't know of many concert halls that use panels.

Has it occurred to you that you might be ignoring the obvious?
Shadorne, Consider that the 'obvious' that Mr T refers to may be nothing more that what he said in that post. He is telling us how he feels, what his opinion is. Nothing more or less. He doesn't like cone speakers. Cone speakers have faults. People buy them anyway. He will never buy one. Nothing controversial there.

So who cares what he believes or why, especially given his continual hawking the merits of one speaker, loaded with faults, that may only do one thing well (if the way it does that is the way you want to hear it).

His posts often remind me of necessity for getting even weeds to grow is some water and 'nutrients'. He supplies the 'nutrients', you supply the water, volia - a new crop of weeds. :-)
Johnk, "Cone materials, surrounds,spiders, cone shapes, crossover parts, cabinet designs, binding posts sets, internal dampening all have improved for transducers."

I agree with you, mostly...

Although, I will say that some of the things we're told strike me as people congratulating themselves for what amounts to the normal incremental improvement one sees in most fields that survive over a period of time. We're living in a time of evolution, not revolution. I believe that is a reflection of the fact that precious little in the way of resources are now dedicated to the craft.

A couple of years ago, I attended the annual Tube Tasting that Jonathan Weiss puts on at Oswald's Mill. Although some of the discussion was above me, and some has been forgotten, a most informative presentation was given on the team of folks who designed the 12" RCA full-range driver way back when (late 1940s?). It was a real breakthrough, and pointed the industry to where we have come since. I don't want to get into too much of the minutiae, but suffice it to say that regarding the level of talent, resources, money, time, and passion that RCA threw at the development, I believe NOTHING like that will likely occur again for a very, very long time.