Speaker Technology over the last 10 years

I bought my last pair of speakers 13 years ago, Legacy Classic. How much has speaker technology changed since then? I know in terms of amp and cd player there has been tremendous advancements but what about speakers?

Are speakers for the most part dependent upon the source? I appreciate any comments.
revrob
hi shadorne:

i would be shocked that anyone would expose a pair of ears
to spl exceeding 100 db. my normal listening level is about 75 db. anything above 75db i consider loud.

my preferred seat at a large concert hall, is last row orchestra. i doubt i would experience a spl excceding 85 db, especially with all of the bodies in front of me.
i would be shocked that anyone would expose a pair of ears
to spl exceeding 100 db.

Don't be shocked. Real music from real instruments is full of transients and has a large dynamic range. If you sit 12 feet from a speaker playing at 100 db spl then the sound is already 12 db down and quite close to your 85 db SPL back row orchestra seat.
Lush has a great point - room DSP for bass modes is indeed a substantial advance - if not the most substantial.
Hi mrtennis, could you give your thoughts on planars for me? I haven't heard any since the 80's, back then it was maggies, acoustats, early martin logans, quads, apogees. Of those, the acoustats were my favs. I never have liked the maggies or the apogees. Why do you like the magnepans so much?
thanks
and to the point of the thread, I do think speaker design and materials have improved.
hi chashas1:

i happen to like most panel speakers, but consider the magnepans a good value.

i was not trying to single out the magnepans, although their latest prototype might be something special. i have not heard them, my impression is based upon reading and talking to someone who was at the SHOW this past january.

the virtues of magnepans are well known. i like the boxlessness, depth, frequency response and radiating pattern. i think they are "easier" on the ear using a tube preamp and tube amp.

why not listen to one ?