Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

[quote]However I'm advocate for using a preamp.
Some power amps need the drive to sound their best.[/quote]

I didn't ask you to recommend a preamp to the OP,
I asked you to name preamps that would drive better than the output of his PS Audio dac could do, after your statements above.

Cheers George
09-24-15: Andrew9405
Well, so far 2 of the predictable sellers have arrived.
Peter should shamelessly be along soon............
The 2 "sellers" are offering opinions and they are different but valid. Where's the shame?
I wish it were George. The interaction will be with only an un-buffered passive pre's volume control, then. Does that include those with optical attenuators (Lightspeed)?
>>09-24-15: Knghifi
Where's the shame?<<

Umm, maybe using the forums for financial gain?
This is getting beyond me, but I appreciate all the input. To summarize: I power Martin Logan Spires with a Spectron Musician III Mk 2. I also use PS Audio DirectStream and their Phono section. I would actually love suggestions as to what preamp under $5K would be a strong match. I listen to all kinds of music, and I love clarity, especially in the mid and upper ranges, more than all other acoustic qualities.