Is no preamp really better that a good preamp?

Hi All, I have PS Audio gear, and both my DAC and my phono section have enough gain to run directly to the amp. Is this really the optimal arrangement, or might I actually get better sound by adding a good preamp, say a Cary or a Modwright tube unit, to the mix. Thanks in advance.
Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler
09-26-15: Clio09
If you do not need the gain, the source variable output section can control the interconnect, and you like the sound then you should stop there.

Correct Clio,
Once again, please anyone who wants to put their head on the chopping block.
Using and quoting the laws of electronics (not just voodoo speak) what is not matched with the OP's PS Audio Dac 100ohm 2.8v output running direct into the Spectron's 50kohm 26db of gain input.

Cheers George
Wait! Do we have George and Ralph agreeing on something? Guess that loud cracking sound noise I just heard was hell freezing over ;-).

No freezing, just that warm feeling of not having to empty your pockets on an added active preamp that not needed under these conditions, and probably going forward with the sound instead of backward in the process.

Cheers George
George,
I get what you are saying about not adding anything negative to a signal via an active preamp. But shouldn't the proof be in the listening?
I mean if the OP likes what he hears with a preamp in the chain compared to without, then couldn't he just go with what his ears prefer than with theory alone?
Cheers! J.

Of course Jon2020, and I've said exactly that, if he likes what a preamp adds (and that's a colouration) because something else is not quite right that's ok.

What erks me is when the preamp brigade use blanket statements that preamps are better than direct period, without even knowing if the user needs that colouration or not in his or her system.
And then also saying it drives the poweramp/interconnect better which in this case it cannot, as he has a perfect impedance, voltage and gain match going direct.

Cheers George