Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
How do you guys setup your Thiels . I have read that no toe in is recommended ? Why is that ?
I had a pair of CS2.4's and recently traded them in for CS2.7's. I don't find that toe-in is necessary at all. The imaging is fantastic from almost anywhere in front. BTW, the 2.7's definitely have better articulation than the 2.4's and don't seem to lack for a full sound (compared to other speakers of a similar price range; I compared with Aerial 6T and 7T).

I do have a question (and being a newbie, please let me know if a different forum might be preferable). My room is approx. 22' x 13'. I have my entertainment center on the long wall with the speakers fairly close to the large cabinet. I figure I'm sitting maybe 8 to 9 feet from the speakers. When I'm sitting, my ears are pretty level with the mids/tweeters and the speakers are still too bright (I have Transparent cables and an Ayre Integrated, so the perceived shrillness is not due to these components). If I stand against the opposite wall the whole system sounds very good. Sorry for the long prologue. I am wondering if I either need to eliminate the cabinet's interference with the speakers or if the ultimate solution will be to move my system to a short wall so that I can move the speakers away from the wall and cabinet and also move the sitting to a range greater then 9' away? As things are now, the bass is getting lost somewhere. I'll eventually experiment, but I'm wondering if others have had experience with this?
Maplegrovemusic, ones room and listening position will ultimately determine speaker positioning. The Thiels are very accurate off axis to begin with, and straight ahead positioning can help provide a wide soundstage as well as negate some brightness. More importantly to attain driver integration and wave form fidelity; one should sit at least 8' from Thiels.

dar57, Most rooms vary enough, that there are no hard rules. My room is very similar to yours, though I do have a rather high ceiling.

I prefer the long wall placement when it can work. I have my Thiel's backs out 3' from the wall behind them, 10' apart center to center, >5' from speaker cabinet wall to side wall, with my listening position close up against the opposing wall with a large piece of thick foam with thick fabric covering, speakers are about 9' from the listening position firing straight ahead, without toe in.

Of course one could use other approaches, i.e., rule of thirds, etc.. With Thiels  do try to keep 8'-12' from listening position to speaker. Keeping the entertainment center cabinet well away from the speakers is a very good idea!

Unsound could write the manual!  I have tried many locations for my Thiels and Unsounds is about where they sound best for me as well.

Experimentation with placement however is a must.