Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Dear Tim (Pryso),
Actually I myself re-capped my SP10 Mk2.  And I did not replace diodes or rectifiers, as the Mk2 had no problems ever.  (I sold it after purchasing the Mk3.) When I acquired the Mk3, I did turn that over to Bill Thalmann who re-capped it and calibrated it as well.  To my knowledge, he replaced no other parts, but considering the cost of his work in that instance, he may have replaced other parts.  Somewhere in there, Bill also replaced the main chip in my Denon DP80 and all its electrolytics, too. In the process, he noticed that the discrete transistors in the DP80 were of a type he knew to be unreliable and also inferior to a modern equivalent part.  He then took it upon himself to update all those transistors in the DP80.  This brings us to the TT101.  So far as I know, none of the diodes in the TT101 needed to be replaced.  One might go to Schottky diodes, simply because they are the lowest in noise, but I am never going to open up my TT101 again, so long as it is working.  I am so done with fretting.  If one were to change the diodes, the new ones would likely have a different forward voltage drop than the originals. This would result in a very slightly different output DC voltage from the PS. You'd need to re-calibrate the voltages, at a minimum.  Possibly, you'd have to recalibrate the motor as well.  It's not trivial to do that. JP's philosophy is if it's not broken, don't fix it.  I went along with that.

I was thinking last night that we collectively have made the world much safer for vintage DD turntables over the course of this thread.  We now know about Bill, Peter, and JP.  We know we can get most of the supposedly unobtainable ICs and discrete transistors for the major brands.  Thanks to Halcro for starting us on this journey.

Today I went to buy a Boston Audio Mat2 for my TT101, only to find that it is out of production.  What are guys using? I really like the Mat2 on my Mk3 and the Mat1 on my Lenco.
lewm
03-09-2016 4:43pm

JP’s philosophy is if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Let me add some color to that - my philosophy is if it’s not less than optimal, not prone to known reliability issues, etc. then don’t "fix" it.

My MN6042 upgrade wasn’t borne out of the need to replace failed parts, but due to the fact that every stock part I measured performed poorly.

chakster
03-09-2016 5:02pm

@lewm I use Micro CU-500 on my SP10 mk2
Where did you find BA Mat2 ?

I bought one new six months ago. I think it was somewhere around the 23rd page of a Google search I found a little online store in Italy that actually had one in stock. Sadly, their last one.
Lewm, I have a Mat II I am not using. Contact me offline if you can't find one.