Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Lewm, I don't seem to have any problems with my SP-10MK III. I just thought it would be nice to have spares of the 6042 chip since so many other units use them too. I have a friend who has many SP-10MK II units that need work also.
lewm
03-10-2016 10:42am

Acman, In principle, I want your BA Mat2. However, being a computer klutz, I cannot figure out how to contact you from this website...

Very kind of you Lew, but it was offered to you, so if you want it you should get it. I hope you don’t mind - I took the liberty of sending your e-mail address to acman3.

pryso
03-10-2016 11:47am

Anyway, I should go ahead with the ’lytic replacements in my Technics since as JP says, they are known to have reliability issues.

I recommend replacing the three motor drive caps with the next higher voltage rating. Those three take the most abuse in the chassis. And, of course, if you recap it you’ll need to readjust the PLL to ensure it’s running right. Truthfully, most of them will be out of adjustment after 30+ years regardless.
Tim, (Pryso)

Once you have your table recapped you can bring it out here and I can do the above adjustment for you.

Good Listening

Peter 

Acman, It seems JP has deferred to me.  I am still interested in your Mat2. Please do contact me, as I cannot figure out how to PM you.
Thanks.
Peter, that's very good of you.  JT did my initial calibrations but with him gone I don't know anyone now with the test gear to do it.  I suspected it would be worthwhile after the cap changes.  It will be a couple of months but I'll be in touch.