Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Thanks for the comments guys.....
Makes sense that the performance of the TT-101 was deteriorating BEFORE the outage....and that was the 'coup-de-gras' 🙈
Will be interesting to compare the two when I get it back.

Yes totem.....my Tech has fully serviced the 101 two or three times previously but no lubrication or dismantling of the bearing. It seems fine and spins freely for endless minutes when turned without power.

No storm or lightning Lew, when the power went.....and the Donald didn't cause it 👅
I know your preference has always been for coreless motors.....but I thought the SP-10 Mk3 is NOT.....?

No, SP10 Mk3 is not coreless. It's a massive 24-pole motor.  I never heard any "problem" with it, but it definitely sounds more coherent, musical, or smooth (pick your adjective) after having undergone the Krebs mod, which is directed at the tendency of the rotor/stator structure to rotate counter to the direction of the application of torque (Newton's 3rd Law), which in turn causes the servo to make more frequent minute speed corrections than is necessary and maybe that introduces a tiny bit of roughness or edginess to the sound that is effectively ameliorated by whatever Richard has invented. (It's a state secret.)  The Krebs Mk3 is by far the best of the iron pole motors I have heard in this system and probably edges out the others as well, if I were ever to do a really intense comparison.  JP Jones has a further upgrade for the electronics of the MK3 that I plan to have him do on mine. (Fidelis Analog, on the internet)

Your TT101 may need to be properly calibrated.  JP, who also fixed my TT101, raising it up from doorstop to turntable, says that calibrating the TT101 is a bit tricky.  I think it's fair to say that he would say most vintage direct-drives still in use are not working as well as they could, because of lack of proper calibration of the drive electronics.  Just a thought.
20 poles on the MK3.  

Victor used a synthetic lubricant, though 30+ years may be pushing it.  Wear of the thrust pad will affect coil to rotor gap which could have a negative affect, being dual-rotor.  
As soon as I finish restoring a pair of 10-SP II I will pass to the restoration of a TT101 does not work, is completely broken and given to me for free.

So I’ll have to completely take it apart piece by piece and I can see and understand what the state is spindle and thrust pad.

You will need a major revision to electronics, I hope they are not IC failures.
Hi lewm

How is your technics SP10 mk3 configured?  
that is plinth, tonearm and cartridge.

cheers