I need a good Preamp

My current system:
Preamp:           MAC C2300
Amps:              Krell FPB 350mcx mono blocks
Speakers:        B+W 801 Series II

My MAC C2300 just quit working and really I need it in another room to pair with a MAC MC452 once it gets repaired. So, I need suggestions on what will mate up well with my Krells? I would like to spend $8k or less but I would consider going higher. I am thinking a line stage even though I did use the phono on the MAC some. I plan to add a phono amp to my system later. I just play cds with this system. Reading on this forum I sort of lean towards a used ARC 5SE or maybe a Cary SLP05 but I am open to suggestions. There are no audio shops close to me so I will be buying without getting to demo anything. I'm not too knowledgeable on stereo gear so I need some help. Thanks for the responses.
wemfan
ADDENDA: If you intend to connect to any vacuum tube related signal sources, then your passive preamp should present a higher load impedance than the 10kΩ that I prefer. (I use solid-state signal sources.) The cathode followers in vacuum tube electronics like to see 20kΩ or more. So simply specify a higher input impedance for your stepped attenuators if you're going to provide a vacuum tube source signal---but preferably not higher than ~ 30kΩ.
If you like the sound of your Mac, very probably that ARC will sound dull to you. I had SP 20 and I had VSi75, they both started to work according to your expectations only at big volumes. I have Mac C22 now and it is so much more musical - to my ears of course.  

Hi wemfan, do you want a separate phono stage or included in the pre. I run an Aesthetix Io Eclipse with into an Allnic L4000 then Ayon Orthos Xs with KT150 tubes.

These are into Martin Logan CLX's so they reveal anything pre the speakers,  All sound great in my room.

The Counterpoint SA-5000 upgraded is excellent.  I can do the upgrades, but I would prefer the SA-2000 upgraded as I have more room to add goodies to it and there is no floating circuit board to work with.  The old Hovland tube preamp works very well with Krell amps. For non tube preamps the Tom Evans Vibe is an excellent preamp.  I also build DHT preamps with no caps in the signal path and I also use Slagle transformers with TVC volume control (no resistors).  I have not heard the Coincident DHT but it looks like a nice design.  I agree that once you experience DHT there is no going back.

Happy Listening. 
Why don't you let Don Sachs build you one? He builds very good custom units ,and in my opinion after personal dealings with him, is as honest as you can get. You won't spend over $2500.00 to maybe $ 3000.00. at most. Whatever you wan't, even down to the caps can be requested. He is also very easy to deal with. I have no affiliation with him except as a satisfied customer.

don@dsachsconsulting.com