901 series 2 speakers

hi, anybody out there have any thoghts of the bose 901 series 2 speakers?
128x128g_nakamoto
g_nakamoto writes:
hi, anybody out there have any thoughts of the bose 901 series 2 speakers?
A few years ago, Jeff Dorgay, editor/publisher of ToneAudio, did a fresh review of the Bose 901 Series VI loudspeakers with the same methods that would be used to review speakers today. For example, he used top quality Sound Anchor stands, high quality speaker cable (that won't fit in the narrow columns of Bose's pedastals), and a range of amplifiers, from a vintage Pioneer SX-424 to a Unison Research S6 vacuum-tube amp to a pair of Pass Labs XA200.5 monoblocks.

Read the review; I think you'll find it enlightening. He considered it a competitive value at its $1400 (new, retail) price an a lot of fun for many applications.

Dorgay owns and frequently reviews some seriously high end gear. 

To put some things in perspective, the 1st gen 901s retailed at $476 in 1971. Adjusted for inflation that would be $2874 in today's money. But today the Bose 901 Series VI retails at $1400, which would only amount to $232 in 1971.

I think the OP is retired and has said this is all he has along with a Mac to power them.

I say enjoy the music no matter what your equipment is,

Kenny.
back in the 70's, i read that you should have at least 100 watts per chanell for these speakers.
Hey johnny, thanks for the history lesson. *L*  That was certainly my 'state of the art' for the era, and to get a 'flashback insight' on WTF was going on makes too much sense. *G*

The 901's were still impressive for the 'time and place', and I was happy as a well-fed pig in mud back then.  They could almost literally blow my friends away, even given the limits they were in.

As for the stated demo, it seems to relate to the modern 'line source' stack we see in concerts, driven by enough wattage to pound nails into softwoods. *L*  Small wonder the first 5 rows go home with their ears ringing. ;)  Perhaps, fortunately, I couldn't afford those seats on a regular basis....I wouldn't be able to hear what I can...*L*

Bose was right at the time....massed small drivers can work wonders, given a certain level of 'control' with active EQ.  And it still works...I'm a fanboy of active EQ to this day, dialing for 'flat response' in the space I'm faced with.  "All things being equal", if you will. ;)

Thanks again....*G*