Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Just put a few pictures of my plinth for the Victor TT-101 
on my system page Rosewood CLD construction.
@halcro @lewm 

Thanks for detailed information regarding the restoration of this deck.
I'm in the middle of this thread, but i see other users turns on their tt-101 to work continuously for 1 month. That's the way to check the operation condition for those decks that are not described as junk or non-working? 
I currently have in my collection a few SP-10MK3, an NOS SP-10MK2A, DP-100, L-07D, PS-X9, TX-1000, TT-101, and an SL-1200 GAE and MK4.  Oh, and a TD-224, just because I like the clockwork mechanics. 

Most of them are in the refurb queue, and as such I haven't been able to hear them.  Some aren't complete; I'm looking for a MAX-237 for the TX-1000.  Actually, that's the only one that isn't complete. 

I don't find the TT-101 electronics all that complicated, but the calibration procedures are a bit complex and the service manual, as they all do, gets some stuff wrong, and leaves some stuff out.  The main board is beyond fragile which makes them a royal pain to work on.   I've lost money on the few I've resurrected, and now won't even consider touching one for less than $1500.  On the last one I had to repair a broken coil in the motor, and repair the main bearing, though that was inflicted damage. 

Professionally I was a technology consultant up until a month ago, when I went full-time with my top customer.  Since then my free time has been nearly non-existintent, and what little I've had I've spent on my own selfish pursuits.  Plus it's summer, and I'd rather be on the lake on my wakeboard! :)

On the last one I had to repair a broken coil in the motor, and repair the main bearing, though that was inflicted damage==jpjones3318.

That is my tt101. Since receiving it, I let it run for forty (40) days,24/7, and I am pleased to report that no single issue with the turntable. It is good as new and will not hesitate to recommend JP. Still in the process of making the slate plinth. I have two trials with no success. Maybe I should reach out to Halcro to get a copy of his plinth.

Nice work on the plinth totem....👌
'Be happy to help audpulse...just pm me or post your email....